The Orville - Season One - SPOILERS!

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Re: The Orville - Season One - SPOILERS!

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Everybody likes breasts, so this is acceptable artistic license. :lol: It actually reminds me of an old EC Science Fiction comic from the 50s, where an astronaut traveled to another planet, met a beautiful woman, had sex with her, and then kind of freaked out when she laid an egg. In the letters page of the next issue, a reader wondered why an egg-laying species would have those two very large and obvious mammary glands. Bill Gaines replied simply, "Okay, killjoy." :lol:

But I've been thinking it over and I can see how it's possible. Suppose the species starts out as an egg-laying mammal, like the platypus. At some point in their prehistory there is a benign and viable mutation for hermaphroditism that spreads through the population. Now they have a situation, simply because of the mechanic of reproduction, where male-male offspring are possible, male-female offspring are possible, but female-female offspring are not. Over the course of generations, females would dwindle until they were quite rare, and therefore come to be thought of as a deviation.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:45 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Everybody likes breasts, so this is acceptable artistic license. :lol: It actually reminds me of an old EC Science Fiction comic from the 50s, where an astronaut traveled to another planet, met a beautiful woman, had sex with her, and then kind of freaked out when she laid an egg.

A Princess of Mars? :lol:

RJDiogenes wrote:But I've been thinking it over and I can see how it's possible. Suppose the species starts out as an egg-laying mammal, like the platypus. At some point in their prehistory there is a benign and viable mutation for hermaphroditism that spreads through the population. Now they have a situation, simply because of the mechanic of reproduction, where male-male offspring are possible, male-female offspring are possible, but female-female offspring are not. Over the course of generations, females would dwindle until they were quite rare, and therefore come to be thought of as a deviation.

There is a species of lizard in Arizona that are mostly female and can lay fertile eggs with or without males. So it's possible.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Lupine wrote:A Princess of Mars? :lol:

Egg-laying women were popular in those days, I guess. :unsure:

There is a species of lizard in Arizona that are mostly female and can lay fertile eggs with or without males. So it's possible.

Yeah, if they were an all-female species it would be easier to justify-- there are various examples of parthenogenesis in nature. But, since males don't give birth by definition, an all-male species is really impossible to explain-- no matter how you cut it, they are hermaphrodites.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:29 pm

New episode tonight! :bounce:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:00 pm

A generally familiar plot with a generational ship that forgot it was a generational ship. Star Trek did this with "For the World Is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky", which itself was a rip-off of Heinlein's Orphans of the Sky. Despite that this was a one of the better episodes. Not as heady as last week, but there moments I actually laughed- such as the Jehovah Witness and the Friends joke. It got surprisingly dark at a few points but it still had the old-school optimism. Liam Neeson showing up was a big surprise. I also noticed that the music playing during the docking scene was almost completely lifted from V'ger Flyover suite from the first Star Trek movie. That did add to the sense of wonder at seeing the massive colony ship.
Wonder: do you remember what that was like?
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Ah, yes, I loved the bioship, especially when they came inside and saw the environment. It reminded me of when the Renaissance crew landed in Woodstock. That was the kind of vibe I was going for.

And I loved the episode as a whole, despite the clunky humor falling flat again (although I did laugh at the Jehovah's Witness joke, and a couple of others). The bioship was beautiful, both outside and in, and I liked seeing the Orville crew on an old-school landing party mission. Trouble with the locals, somebody gets captured, the rest of the party must rescue them. Everybody conveniently speaks English. There were definitely a couple of brutal moments that helped keep everything grounded. When Alara got shot, I figured it would turn out that the uniforms are bullet proof or that her species is bullet proof, but, man, she really got shot. That was painful to watch. As was Kelly getting interrogated. If this show could just drop the open-mike-night race-, gender-, and sex-based one liners, it could turn out to be a nice replacement for Star Trek.

And I didn't even realize that that was Liam Neeson. Nice little casting coup there. They should probably advertise these things to bring in more viewers.

One thing I noticed in this one that I didn't notice before is that these people talk about god an awful lot for a supposedly god-free future society.

Also, I thought it was a nice touch that they used the same quote that inspired Asimov's "Nightfall" in the episode (and for the title). They sneak in a lot of allusions to classic SF, not just Trek (naming the robot Isaac being an obvious one).

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:14 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:If this show could just drop the open-mike-night race-, gender-, and sex-based one liners, it could turn out to be a nice replacement for Star Trek.

If they did all that and added transporters it could actually be Star Trek.

RJDiogenes wrote:And I didn't even realize that that was Liam Neeson. Nice little casting coup there. They should probably advertise these things to bring in more viewers.

I was surprised to see Liam Neeson. I'd heard rumors that Charlize Theron would show up this season but not him.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:11 pm

It's a little weird that they don't have transporters, since we know they're possible in that universe-- the zoo aliens used a transporter. I'm kind of glad they don't because I'm not too crazy about that level of ease in getting in and out of places. I deliberately left them out of Spacious Skies because I wanted a more realistic dynamic of getting around in space.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:49 pm

If so-called Christians are upset about this show, then I should probably watch it.
WHY IS THE NEW TV SHOW ‘THE ORVILLE’ UPSETTING CHRISTIANS?
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:37 pm

^ :lol:

All the more reason to like the show.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:04 am

Sweet. That's good publicity. :D

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:35 pm

If it's Thursday, this must be The Orville. :saucer:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Almost forgot.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Lupine » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Weaker and a bit more cliched than last week's, though it did have its moments. Obviously the writing was relying heavily on Charlize Theron's super-human sex-appeal to carry the plot. I was pleasantly surprised that she didn't turn out to be overly evil, just a bit mercenary. As usual some of the human fell flat, like the attempts to explain humor to Isaac. Thought I did find the severed leg funny (which I probably shouldn't). Also interesting was that the score was borrowing from the Star Trek: The Motion Picture soundtrack again.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Actually, I thought this one was really good, and not just because Captain Mercer comes from Massachusetts (although that helped). The time travel plot was interesting for several reasons. First, the antagonist was not out to hurt anyone and not even out to steal anything-- she specifically chose vessels that would be destroyed and saved the lives of all aboard. In contrast, by destroying the singularity, Mercer killed countless people, possibly including the time traveler. Another interesting aspect is that the Orville and crew survive now in an altered timeline-- they're literally living on borrowed time.

Other things I loved about the episode were the comet rescue at the beginning (laws of physics aside), which was one of the most exciting space sequences I've ever seen and beautifully rendered. Also, the dark matter sequence was beautiful. The simulated alien environment was gorgeous. The singularity was okay, but the alien ship and the aliens on the other side were terrific. Most of the time, advanced CGI effects are pretty boring because the technicians go for photorealism and the results are impressive but lack artistry-- but the effects on this show, especially this episode, are very creative.

The episode also included a classic TOS "He's dead" fade out. :lol:

Some of the humor did fall flat, as usual, but not as bad as in some other episodes. The subplot about teaching Isaac practical jokes was actually pretty good. The Mister Potato Head scene was funny, but the leg amputation, especially Malloy's rampage on the bridge, was horrific-- only to have him reconsider and tell Isaac's lifeless body that it was the best practical joke he'd ever seen. The part where the leg fell from the ceiling was a bit too much, though. Probably the part where Malloy came to the bridge with a limp, half-formed leg was probably too much, too, but it cracked me up. :lol:

And mixed in with all that was a nice little story about Mercer-- who we find out has not been with anyone since his divorce-- gets burned when he tries to move on, and has to make the hard choice at the end.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:23 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:The part where the leg fell from the ceiling was a bit too much, though.

I thought that was the funniest part. :lol:

I'm horrible.

Meanwhile I'm hearing rumors that the show might get a second season.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:01 pm

^^ :lol: I thought it was hilarious, too, I just thought it went to far in terms of the show's format-- if the show even has a format.

My friend Hope from Terran, who is an expert on all things TV, also feels that the show will go into a second season, so I'm pretty optimistic about it.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Orpheus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:29 am

Yeah, I think it's a shoe-in for renewal. In fact, if it keeps up the quality, we oldsters will be talking about it's earliest days to skeptical grandkids.

It's really doing excellently for early first season, TNG sucked into S2 or S3. Never thought I'd respect MacFarlane, but I must give him mad props.
Orpheus
Lictor
Lictor

Postby Gary » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:04 pm

I watched episode 3 last night (About a Girl). Pretty good episode with a twist ending (no happy roses there). The series seems like a bunch of high school sophomores created their own version of Star Trek. I might continue watching more episodes to see if I change my mind.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:58 pm

^The humor is pretty immature at times. But the thing that the show has, at least for me, is that it's not taking itself so painfully serious like Discovery.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 pm

^^ And it's really better written for the most part.

Orpheus wrote:Yeah, I think it's a shoe-in for renewal. In fact, if it keeps up the quality, we oldsters will be talking about it's earliest days to skeptical grandkids.

Well, it's still about the ratings, which aren't wonderful. But it's a Fox-owned show and they've invested a lot, so it's likely to be given every chance.

It's really doing excellently for early first season, TNG sucked into S2 or S3. Never thought I'd respect MacFarlane, but I must give him mad props.

TNG didn't totally suck, although it had some bad episodes (I think there was a writer's strike).

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:01 pm

TNG didn't really find itself until S3. It didn't suck per se, but I doubt that it would have lasted in today's environment.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:47 pm

No, definitely not. They keep the lights on. :lol: Also, no story arcs, a major character doesn't die shockingly in every episode, nobody has a secret agenda, and everybody doesn't hate each other.

Makes me wonder if Orville can really survive in today's environment.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 pm

And we have a new episode tonight! :saucer:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 pm

And an episode that was doing Trek better than Trek. I liked the premise of trying to figure out how to deal with the Krill without resorting to all out war. Naturally things went pair shaped with the revelation of the bomb on board. But again they avoided they modern cliche of victor at all costs in trying not to kill the children on board. Still the ending was rather ominous and downbeat.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

PreviousNext

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube