Star Trek Discovery - 2017

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Re: Star Trek Discovery - 2017

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Eventually it will probably come to DVD and maybe Netflix or whatever, after a suitable amount of time. I'm sure they'll want to maximize exposure. And, who knows, it may even last more than 15 episodes. :lol:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:18 pm

New episode tonight. :saucer:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 pm

The second stupidest thing about this episode is that the expert security chief, known for her tactical ability, tried to anesthetize the Tardigrade Monster without knowing what kind or how much anesthesia would work on it and then released it without even checking to see if it was unconscious, all for the sake of cutting off a limb for Burnham to analyze, even though she didn't need it. The Tardigrade Monster killed her.

The most stupid thing about this episode is that, following the death of the security chief, Burnham also released the Tardigrade Monster, based on the assumption that it wanted some shrooms-- because there's no other way to get something into the holding cell than opening the front door-- and didn't even let the annoying Millennial kid get to safety. This woman was raised by Vulcans?

And so it turns out that the Tardigrade Monster is from the Mushroom Dimension and can be used as the supercomputer component of the Mushroom Drive. Looks like Stamets is softening toward Burnham because she figured this out. Saru, however, is not softening toward Burnham, because she used his fear ganglia to test the Tardigrade Monster's threat level.

And the computer voice sounds like Siri.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:28 pm

^ :wtf: Wow this sounds bad.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Orpheus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:52 pm

The stupidity in this show is all the more astounding because it seems so earnest, especially when it uses science terms. I have decided I'm going to actively avoid discussing its science, because it is wrong on basic facts/principles I knew as a teenager -- like the roles of the human frontal lobe. The plot stupidity is far worse, IMHO, and professional writers have no excuse for that. An SF show by RJD would be MUCH better plotted, funnier, and more educational -- even if the network execs insisted on blowing 90% of the budget on SFX and live elephants as actors.

I'm nowhere near as dogmatic about "correct science" as I was 5 years ago, much less 10, 15, 20+, but I do feel saddened: every misstated fact/principle is a 'dumbing moment' that should have been a teaching moment.

While I can forgive The Orville, because it's a comedy (even if it is far worse as a comedy than as light SF), I don't know how to look at Discovery. It's like the police/court/forensics shows that get everything wrong -- but are still a major source of public info, on a subconscious level (I subscribe to a lawyer forum, where they indulge my efforts to scrub my brain free of TV tropes, and even after years, I still catch myself believing stuff I shouldn't)

Why oh why is it so hard to "stick to the facts"? Life does, and it's plenty dramatic, romantic, comedic enough. It's no harder to say a correct fact than an incorrect one. Do they WANT a dumb public?
Why oh why are great amateur writers overlooked, while professionals who "paid their dues" and presumably learned a lot on the way, write scripts/arcs that seem lost in the mire?

<ahem>

But didn't I call it on Exisle, last week? Weaponized tardigrades! The bastards!
Orpheus
Lictor
Lictor

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Lupine wrote:^ :wtf: Wow this sounds bad.

It was really bad. :( I really don't see myself continuing to subscribe after this month.

Oh, and I forgot. My hopeful theory that Captain Georgiou might have survived somehow was not correct. The Klingons ate her.

Orpheus wrote:The stupidity in this show is all the more astounding because it seems so earnest, especially when it uses science terms. I have decided I'm going to actively avoid discussing its science, because it is wrong on basic facts/principles I knew as a teenager -- like the roles of the human frontal lobe. The plot stupidity is far worse, IMHO, and professional writers have no excuse for that.

I'm pretty easygoing with the science, since it's Space Opera (that comet rescue on Orville last week was great, despite defying the laws of physics), but there's really no point in getting basic knowledge wrong like that. Apparently they have no science consultant on this show-- or, despite what they say, a continuity consultant.

An SF show by RJD would be MUCH better plotted, funnier, and more educational -- even if the network execs insisted on blowing 90% of the budget on SFX and live elephants as actors.

I'm down with the live elephants. :thumbsup: Actually, I did write a Space Opera script and my intent was to stick to hard science-- the idea was to be a cross between Star Trek and Arthur C Clarke.

Why oh why are great amateur writers overlooked, while professionals who "paid their dues" and presumably learned a lot on the way, write scripts/arcs that seem lost in the mire?

This is something that really baffles me. These scripts are seen by dozens of people before they are filmed, and undergo countless revisions-- how does all the stupidity survive so many eyes?

But didn't I call it on Exisle, last week? Weaponized tardigrades! The bastards!

Indeed! They're basically calling it a Macroscopic Tardigrade. At least they're portraying it as a good guy, and not a real monster.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 pm

This show sounds like weapons grade crap.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Orpheus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:21 am

It's not so bad. I've seen much worse. It's not Trek, but that doesn't bother me personally. It does get occassionally stupid, but TOS split Kirk into good/evil halves, and then struggled to explain what that even meant. Why do an episode where you can't even explain your point (not even to unschooled toddler-me, I might add)? It's not like drunk-posting on the Internet.

Maybe I'll host an live online "private viewing party", so "invited members" can check it out themselves (This gets around the prohibition on online broadcasting). I worked out the technology for that many years ago, to do MS3TK-ing parties on a couple of boards I ran. I doubt the relevant technology has changed so much that I couldn't quickly adapt my prior work.
Orpheus
Lictor
Lictor

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Orpheus wrote:It's not so bad.

It's pretty bad. :lol:

I've seen much worse.

That's true. It's not as bad as Starlost. But, interestingly, also not as entertaining.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Orpheus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:54 am

My problem is that it seems to me to be not so much Sci-Fi as an unfortunate series of events with key details ill-remembered.
Orpheus
Lictor
Lictor

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Maybe that's why they made it a prequel. They can pass it all off as bad memory. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 pm

New episode tonight. :saucer:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Not a lot to say about this one. Lorca was captured by Klingons and got away. He rescued another Starfleet prisoner, but left Harry Mudd to the tender mercies of the Klingons. Those good old Starfleet ethics at work.

And it turns out Lorca has a dark secret in his past-- somehow he managed to escape a Klingon attack and killed his own crew to save them from becoming prisoners. How intriguing. Wake me when it's over. But I guess this explains his affinity for Burnham.

They did a pretty good job with Mudd's portrayal, considering he's ten years younger and a prisoner of the Klingons. He was portrayed as a populist dork resentful of Starfleet elites, which is certainly not inconsistent with what we know of him. It was kind of amusing that it was his true love for Stella that got him into this pickle, when less than ten years later she will become his tormentor. Having is not so fine a thing as wanting, indeed. :lol:

In the last episode, Stamets seemed to be loosening up a bit, but in this one he's a bigger asshole than ever. "What are you doing with your face?" Although I suppose it was impressive that he injected himself with the Tardigrade DNA to get the Magic Mushroom Drive to work. But everything just seems to fall flat on this show. Same with Saru's moment with Burnham, and Georgiou's last will and testament last week. They just seem incapable of creating a touching moment.

At least they released the giant tardigrade, although how he rehydrated himself in the vacuum of space I cannot guess.

And we finally got to hear someone say "fuck" on Star Trek, even if it was just the annoying Millennial kid. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Yeah, because Star Trek really needed the F-word. :lol:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:27 am

It's fine with me, as long as they don't turn it into a Quentin Tarantino movie. I'm not big on censorship. I managed to work some verboten terminology into Spacious Skies (as well as some nudity) just to demonstrate that it was permissible.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:33 pm

There is a theory that Lorca is actually from the Mirror Universe, which is supposed to explain his having a Tribble and Gorn skeleton. No, I haven't been watching the series. I've been monitoring articles I see online.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:51 pm

I haven't been watching either, except for the pilot, and have heard the same theory. However I remember similar theories with Star Trek: Enterprise in an attempt to explain away the continuity hiccups of that show.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Well, we do know that there's a Mirror Universe episode coming, so that would fit. And I'm reminded of an early rumor that the show involved multiple timelines, with Sarek somehow as the focus.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Meanwhile the latest episode of Star Trek Continues is out and it's part 1 of a 2-part series finale. Plotwise it's not off to a great start as Kirk is pretty easily manipulated a couple of times. On the upside the writer's seem intent on clearing up numerous technical and seeming canon inconsistancies in the original series. I'm not sure when part 2 will come out, but I'm going to miss these videos. :bye:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:58 pm

It is definitely a superior series. What's the name of the finale?

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:14 pm

To Boldly Go...
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Orpheus » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:46 am

Yeah, the Atenians were always nagging Diogenes the Cynic (Diogenes of Sinope) for "boldly going" ... in the town square.

If only that was the worst thing he did there!
Orpheus
Lictor
Lictor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Well, I haven't resorted to that as yet. :lol:

Lupine wrote:To Boldly Go...

Thanks, I found it.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:31 pm

I just saw a clip on YouTube where Discovery is trying to get the Spore Drive to work. Remember, everything I know about this show is passive. I am now intrigued and may return to watching the series with reduced expectations.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Which scene was it?

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

PreviousNext

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube