Star Trek Discovery - 2017

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Star Trek Discovery - 2017

Postby Gary » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:28 pm

The New Star Trek TV Show Has a Title and a Starship: Discovery

Included in the link is a YouTube teaser trailer. Based on the hull number, it might take place before TOS, yet the ship's design looks like that of the Phase II Enterprise. I am....cautiously optimistic.

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Re: Star Trek Discovery - 2017

Postby Lupine » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:07 pm

The ship is uninspired, but it's hard to tell what the series will be like.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:22 pm

Well, finally we have some solid news and most of it is good. The best news is that the show is definitely set in the regular Trekverse, which is great. And I also love the title. Not only have I proposed it myself a few times, but it implies that we will indeed be getting back to exploring strange new worlds and so on.

The ship could be better. I don't like the angular look or the sepia coloring, and it is reminiscent of a Klingon Dreadnought. That could mean that it's set in the post-TNG era in a time when the Feds and the Klingons are more strongly allied, which would be good. But the low registration number implies that it takes place between Enterprise and TOS. Or the rumors about the setting being post Undiscovered Country might be true and it's just a ship with a long history-- or maybe there's a letter there that we can't see.

In any case, this gives more reason to be optimistic, so I'm looking forward to more news.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:30 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Well, finally we have some solid news and most of it is good. The best news is that the show is definitely set in the regular Trekverse, which is great. And I also love the title. Not only have I proposed it myself a few times, but it implies that we will indeed be getting back to exploring strange new worlds and so on.

The ship could be better. I don't like the angular look or the sepia coloring, and it is reminiscent of a Klingon Dreadnought. That could mean that it's set in the post-TNG era in a time when the Feds and the Klingons are more strongly allied, which would be good. But the low registration number implies that it takes place between Enterprise and TOS. Or the rumors about the setting being post Undiscovered Country might be true and it's just a ship with a long history-- or maybe there's a letter there that we can't see.

In any case, this gives more reason to be optimistic, so I'm looking forward to more news.

A lot of people posted the same Klingon influence you've posted, but I think they're going old school with the series set between Enterprise and TOS. Thankfully, the ship in the series is not named Enterprise. Someday, I might try to track down the Starfleet Corps of Engineers series of books. I heard they were well done.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:40 pm

Between Enterprise and TOS is perfectly fine with me. I have a slight preference for jumping ahead of the TNG era, but pretty much any era in the original timeline will be fine with me.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:52 pm

Somebody finally figured out the meaning of NCC-1031 and it's pretty obvious. The registration number for Space Shuttle Discovery was OV-103.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:50 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Somebody finally figured out the meaning of NCC-1031 and it's pretty obvious. The registration number for Space Shuttle Discovery was OV-103.

Ahhhh. Pretty neat.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Well, there's finally some new news:

The time period has been nailed down to ten years before the original series, which would put it approximately in the same period as Captain Pike parts of "The Menagerie." This also puts it firmly in the original universe. I had been thinking that perhaps they were avoiding the issue of the JJverse by setting the show before the birth of Kirk, but apparently this is not the case.

The premise will revolve around an event in Trek history that's been talked about but never seen. Let the guessing begin.

The show will not be bound by Network S&P.

The main character will be a lieutenant commander on Discovery, not the captain. This is very interesting, given the name of the show and the fact that they have said that we're going back to exploration and discovery-- maybe she's the science officer.

The cast is also said to include two admirals and a Klingon captain.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:13 pm

I saw this story earlier and am not sure what to think yet. I do wish they would move Trek ahead though and not just keep doing prequels and reboots.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Gary » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:17 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic. It's a shame Enterprise was never able to cover the Romulan War.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:56 pm

^^ I'd have to check, but I think this will be long after the Romulan War. Which is fine, because I don't want to see any more war stories in Trek.

Lupine wrote:I saw this story earlier and am not sure what to think yet. I do wish they would move Trek ahead though and not just keep doing prequels and reboots.

That would be my first choice, too, but I'm not unhappy about another Federation history lesson.

I found this quote a minute ago:

"Think about what’s happening in America, and think about the promise of Star Trek, and what we can all do to get there," he told the crowd before ending the panel by asking all the fans in attendance to take each other’s hands and “make a promise to leave this room with love, to leave this room with hope, to leave this room and take responsibility to craft a path to Gene Roddenberry’s vision."

That's Fuller speaking. He seems to really get what Star Trek should be about. :yes:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:47 pm

The Romulan War would have happened during the time of Enterprise, which is a glaring example of how the show runners dropped the ball with that series. Instead, they ruined it with that stupid Temporal Cold War. If anything, I'm tired of anything that has to do with time travel and Chroniton particles in Trek.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:08 am

I would be very happy to never see Time Travel again. But what disappointed me most about the Temporal Cold War was that they didn't use it to tie into other eras of Trek history-- they could have gone to the TOS era, the movie era, the TNG era, or post-TNG era. It would have been nice to see all the familiar eras represented, and maybe bring in some familiar characters.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:53 pm

There will be robots. :shrug:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:58 pm

Discovery may fail, but I don't think it will be the Stargate Universe of Trek. I think if it fails it will mostly be because of CBS's uninspiring streaming service.

I'd prefer that the show be an ensemble that gets involved in episodic stories, because I think that suits Trek best. But a story arc that focuses on one character is not exactly a deal breaker. Fuller has already pretty much checked off all the important boxes: It's an optimistic view of the future, it will be tackling social issues, it's in the continuity of the original show. There will be things about it that I would do differently-- that's true of everything-- but I think we are pretty much guaranteed a good show even if it only lasts one season.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:08 am

I really disliked all of the characters in Stargate: Universe. plus I grew tired of "mutiny of the week". I recently watched some clips of the original Stargate: SG 1 and remembered why I enjoyed the show: believable science fiction with properly intertwined humor.

That being said, I'm hopeful for something different in Discovery.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:28 pm

I think I only made it through two or three episodes of SGU. I watched SG-1 and SGA all the time. I think Discovery will be something different, but still hit all the marks of what makes it Trek.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:06 am

We have some new Discovery news today, but it's not good: The premiere has been pushed back to May. :no:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:13 am

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:02 pm

The comment about the aesthetics and the uniforms being completely different is a bit worrisome.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby scottydog » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:08 am

Gary wrote:[video]

RJDiogenes wrote:The comment about the aesthetics and the uniforms being completely different is a bit worrisome.

Thanks for that video, Gary.

I understand RJ's concern, but the good news is that they seem to be putting a lot of thought into doing this right.

They said that the series takes place 10 years before TOS, is that correct? Wasn't the flashback to Captain Pike and The Cage supposed to take place more than 15 years before Kirk's time? They kept showing uniforms of that era in the clip, which were similar (sort of) to what was settled on for TOS. So I'm confused how the look can be "completely different"....
scottydog
Senator
Senator

Postby Lupine » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:06 pm

scottydog wrote:They said that the series takes place 10 years before TOS, is that correct? Wasn't the flashback to Captain Pike and The Cage supposed to take place more than 15 years before Kirk's time? They kept showing uniforms of that era in the clip, which were similar (sort of) to what was settled on for TOS. So I'm confused how the look can be "completely different"....

I was wondering about this myself. And what if the series runs for 10 years and begins to catch up with TOS?
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:43 pm

The Captain Pike flashbacks in "The Menagerie" were said to be "thirteen years ago," and this was in the middle of season one. Since we're not entirely sure how long Kirk was captain before the show started, it was probably eleven or twelve years before that. So Discovery should take place a year or two after "The Menagerie."

That's why it's a bit worrisome to hear that the aesthetics and the uniforms will be completely different. We know what that era looked like. It will be bad if they are inconsistent with what we know. Enterprise was a prequel, but took place in an era we had never seen before, so they could create a look from scratch-- Discovery's era puts constraints on what they should do.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:58 pm

Some more info on Star Trek Discovery from Midnight's Edge.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Next

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube