Star Trek Discovery - 2017

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Re: Star Trek Discovery - 2017

Postby Gary » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:49 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:There was screaming about the TNG narration?

I didn't mind the Enterprise theme so much. The lyrics were appropriate, but phrase "faith of the heart" has to be the most meaningless assembly of terms ever constructed.

Don't you remember the hard-core Trekkies vilified TNG when it first debuted? They bristled at the thought of a bald captain, lampooned the thought of an Android, scratched their heads at the idea of a blind helmsman, and were irate that there were no Vulcans in the crew. The change of the narration from "Where no man has gone before" was utter sacrilege. I still remember a lot of the die hard crowed didn't accept TNG or admit it invigorated the franchise until the sixth season.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Gary wrote:Don't you remember the hard-core Trekkies vilified TNG when it first debuted? They bristled at the thought of a bald captain, lampooned the thought of an Android, scratched their heads at the idea of a blind helmsman, and were irate that there were no Vulcans in the crew. The change of the narration from "Where no man has gone before" was utter sacrilege. I still remember a lot of the die hard crowed didn't accept TNG or admit it invigorated the franchise until the sixth season.

The first two seasons were pretty weak.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Gary » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Lupine wrote:
Gary wrote:Don't you remember the hard-core Trekkies vilified TNG when it first debuted? They bristled at the thought of a bald captain, lampooned the thought of an Android, scratched their heads at the idea of a blind helmsman, and were irate that there were no Vulcans in the crew. The change of the narration from "Where no man has gone before" was utter sacrilege. I still remember a lot of the die hard crowed didn't accept TNG or admit it invigorated the franchise until the sixth season.

The first two seasons were pretty weak.

Oh, there is no doubt about that. IIRC, they were a combination of Phase II scripts and few recycled TOS episodes. I forgot to mention the anti-TNG crowd was livid there were no Engineering-centric episodes out the gate (no Chief Engineer). Thankfully, we didn't have the medium for delivering content that we do today, or TNG never would have found its footing and blossomed. Getting Roddenberry out of the way certainly helped.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:38 pm

I never heard any of that around here. The most negative thing I heard when TNG was in production was a letter in Starlog complaining about Data-- because "if it's one thing that Star Trek taught us, it's that androids are evil." I think they just printed it for the laughs, though. Somewhat later on I found out that there were complaints about the unisex skirts-- an idea that I loved-- which was my first clue that some Trekkies were not as open minded as advertised. I later shamelessly appropriated that idea for my own Spacious Skies Space Opera. But everybody I knew and everybody I talked to at conventions were all pretty psyched about it.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:49 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:I never heard any of that around here. The most negative thing I heard when TNG was in production was a letter in Starlog complaining about Data-- because "if it's one thing that Star Trek taught us, it's that androids are evil." I think they just printed it for the laughs, though. Somewhat later on I found out that there were complaints about the unisex skirts-- an idea that I loved-- which was my first clue that some Trekkies were not as open minded as advertised. I later shamelessly appropriated that idea for my own Spacious Skies Space Opera. But everybody I knew and everybody I talked to at conventions were all pretty psyched about it.

I remember the very, VERY, early days of the Internet, where the anti-TNG was very vocal. That's around the time they took umbrage with the term "Trekkie" and tried to move people toward the term "Trekker". Look, nerds -- you earned a label, so deal with it.

Anyway, all that aside, I will watch Discovery not with eager anticipation, like I did the last three series, but rather with caution and diminished expectations.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Jim Gamma » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:55 am

So apparently the first episode is The Vulcan Hello and we have a synopsis.

While patrolling Federation space, the USS Shenzhou encounters an object of unknown origin, putting First Officer Michael Burnham to her greatest test yet.
Jim Gamma
Centurion
Centurion

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:16 pm

^^ Well, that's an odd little title. :lol:

And it's not a two-hour premiere. Bummer.

Gary wrote:I remember the very, VERY, early days of the Internet, where the anti-TNG was very vocal. That's around the time they took umbrage with the term "Trekkie" and tried to move people toward the term "Trekker". Look, nerds -- you earned a label, so deal with it.

Ah, well, I didn't get on the Internet until 1993. Apparently there have been Internet malcontents since the very beginning. I do remember the "Trekker" thing, though. Harve Bennett started that with the movies in the early 80s. Trekker seems a little too generic to me.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:25 pm

One week from tonight. I guess I'll have to decide about that All Access thing pretty soon. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Okay, that's really not something I was hoping for.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 pm

The Mirror Universe got really overused, especially in DS9.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Yeah, DS9 got really carried away with it, to the point that they were essentially beaming back and forth with no trouble at all. I really liked the Enterprise episodes, though.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:38 pm

^Those were among my favorites of the Enterprise episodes. I particularly liked that they even changed the opening titles.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:50 pm

And there was no crossover-- except for the derelict ship. :lol

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:07 pm

Star Trek: Discovery will be airing on CBS tonight (check your local listing! :D ). As far as I know only the premiere will air on the Network. Now we'll see if it's any good.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Gary » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:46 pm

I won't be home when it airs, but will probably look for it posted online later this week.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:18 pm

I wonder if the first episode will be on regular On Demand. I'm considering just waiting until Friday, signing up for All Access, and watching the full two hours together. Of course, I'm going to be to curious to not tune in tonight, and I'll end up watching the whole thing....

They've posted the opening sequence, minus the credits (and maybe narration), on YouTube. Looks like they're trying to imitate the intricate openings of pay-cable shows like Game Of Thrones and Westworld.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:39 pm

^Rather nice, overall. Has a bit of a retro feel Enterprise's opening should have had.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 pm

I like the parchment-textured background.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Well, it's deja vu all over again:

A show premieres with a dark, plodding plot. Rather like a 30 minute show stretched to an hour. Unlikable characters. Generic bad guys. However it gets glowing reviews and seems to have an immediate, fanatical fanbase. Only this time it's not Battlestar Galactica or Stargate: Universe, it's Star Trek: Discovery. I tried to keep my hopes up about the new series even through it's troubled production, when I was sure it would be cancelled. There were troubling signs. There were hopeful signs.
Still I found the end result disappointing. The first problem I had was that the show seemed rather "talky", like the writers were reveling in their intellectual and/or philosophical prowess, most of which fell flat. The second problem was that the episode didn't make economical use of its time. The characters weren't well-fleshed out. In contrast, The Orville in it's pilot episode introduced several characters and at least gave a rough idea about their nature. Here we have at best a thoughtful though ineffectual Captain, a reckless and stupid First Officer, an ineffectual Science Officer, and generic bad guys, none of which seemed to stand out.
Having seen the episode thought I can now understand why the production went after Anaxar so relentlessly, as this show seems to cover the same territory only less effectively. Had Anaxar been allowed to stand, the comparisons would have been inevitable (and for the record I do understand the Copyright problems Anaxar poised). But it highlights my problem with Discovery: blandness with things we've seen before in other Treks.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Jim Gamma » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 pm

That was indeed not great. I expected more, honestly. The plot was slow and obvious, the characters were generic guest-cast-of-the-week and they need to give us some solid reasoning behind Sarek's involvement other than "we thought it'd be cool to have him rather than some random Vulcan you've never seen before".

They can still salvage it, but I suspect we'll get more of the same. Burnham wasn't to blame for the Klingons opening fire, from what I've seen; she never actually opened fire until the war started, and killing the Torchbearer was self defence (she tried to escape). Politically, she's being publicly scapegoated... and yet she did turn on her captain, so she doesn't get a free pass from me. I hope that Lorca and his crew will be at least wary of her.
Jim Gamma
Centurion
Centurion

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 pm

Well, that about kills my enthusiasm. :mellow:

I didn't get to see any of it, because 60 Minutes was still on at 8:30 and I had no desire to watch the rest of that and then watch Discovery till 10oclock-- I'd rather read myself to sleep. I suppose I'll still give it a try this Friday, if the free week offer is still available. But it really doesn't sound like what I was hoping for. :no:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Jim Gamma wrote:and yet she did turn on her captain, so she doesn't get a free pass from me.

I was going to give the first episode a mild pass until that happened.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Gary » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 pm

The show was streaming at a disjointed rate from my usual sites, so I gave up trying to watch after 8 minutes. The opening scene and dialog were rather lame, as was the ship entering the atmosphere to locate the Captain and XO. I didn't care for the layout of the bridge. It seems larger than the bridge of the Enterprise D -- and, so dark. The muted tones and dark background are terrible.

I'll try later, when the series hits Netflix or I am able to stream it from my usual sources.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

PreviousNext

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube