Agents of SHIELD - Season Four - SPOILERS!

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Agents of SHIELD - Season Four - SPOILERS!

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:41 pm

Whoa! This snuck up on me, too. Season Four starts tomorrow night! :bounce:

Ghost Rider is going to be on. Not sure if he's joining the team or not, though.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Agents of SHIELD - Season Four - SPOILERS!

Postby Lupine » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:56 pm

I just came in to remind everyone of the season premiere tonight, but you beat me to it. :lol:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:02 pm

That's because I got ahead of myself for a second and thought it was on last night. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Not sure what to think yet. We got a good set up for the season (or half-season) with the introduction of Ghost Rider and the android Aida. There's the new Director but we don't get to see him though obviously he's as popular as heat-rash with the crew. It'll be interesting to see what the exact nature of this Ghost Rider will be. Marvel has so-far been more science-fiction than fantasy (which is why Thor is an alien rather than a god), so will he be an Inhuman (hinted at in the dialog) or someone who made a deal with the actual devil (as hinted at in the previews)?
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:22 pm

That was a good episode, if a bit jarring for someone who doesn't watch the movies. Coulson is demoted to agent again-- and I wonder what Fury thinks about that-- and we've got an unseen director, who is evidently not the hands-on type. The team is mostly split up and Daisy is being hunted as a criminal or terrorist. I got my wish that SHIELD is a legitimate organization again, but it didn't happen quite the way I wanted-- aside from happening offscreen, it seems to have happened because of the Superhero Civil War, not because of Coulson's efforts.

This Ghost Rider is interesting. He's not the one I read when I was a kid, although he does wear the classic leathers. This one is based on a later reboot of the character and he is apparently a brutal killer (unlike the original). The flaming car is cooler than I expected. I did kind of find myself wishing that the guy's brother had become Ghost Rider instead-- imagine Ghost Rider with a flaming wheelchair. :D I too was wondering if he is going to be an Inhuman or genuinely supernatural-- given that we have a Doctor Strange movie on the way, it could be that they are introducing supernatural elements into the movie universe. Maybe we'll see Man-Thing and Werewolf By Night and other such characters.

I'm not quite sure where they're going with the android. The use of the word decoy makes me think this is going to be about LMDs, but I kind of thought those multiple guys who ran the SHIELD bases would turn out to be LMDs. One bad thing is that they're keeping this a secret from Gemma, because of her favored position with the new director-- but everybody seems to be doing that. From a political standpoint, the crazy doctor would have been wiser to not make his android in the image of a beautiful woman who walks around naked, but I can't bring myself to complain too much about that.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:44 am

New episode tonight! :bounce: Little late. :blush:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:51 pm

I should have posted a reminder but I got distracted. :blush:

Better than last week. We finally get to meet the new director and luckily he isn't the atomic jerk I was expecting. A little smarmy, but not someone who's only function to the plot would be to hinder the main characters. The revelation of him being an Inhuman was a surprise though. The "ghosts" were the most interesting part of the episode. It looks like they were victims of some kind of experiment. There's talk of some "book" that they're after. With the prominent mentions of Peggy Carter in the episode and some of their dialogue I'm wondering if this will tie into the last season of Agent Carter. As for Ghost Rider, he has serious anger control issues and a bit of an attitude problem but there are hints he could come around.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:39 pm

Poor May is in tough shape. :( And Mack and Fitz are not happy with Daisy. :(

The new director is a very political creature, that's for sure. And I was also surprised that he's an Inhuman. My first thought was that he was connected somehow to the Mad Scientist's LMD project.

I'm intrigued by the talk about the "book." Given that the upcoming Doctor Strange movie will introduce magic into the Marvel Video Universe, it could be the Book of the Vishanti. Or it could be the Darkhold, which is the Marvel Universe's equivalent of the Necronomicon, which was responsible for Jack Russell becoming a Werewolf, among many other things.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:24 pm

No new episode tonight. We are the victims of a vice-presidential debate.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:56 pm

I checked just in case.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Turns out both candidates are Inhumans. They have the power to bore people to death.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:06 pm

New episode tonight! :bounce:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:06 pm

The B-plots were a bit more interesting than the bad guys blaming a power outage on Inhumans plot. I'm starting to like the new Director of SHIELD and I'm happy he's not the obstructionist jerk I was expecting him to be. Coulson also seems happy in his position as well. They do seem to have a new enemy in the form of a crazed senator and her pet terrigen statue.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:41 pm

I haven't been able to watch yet. I'm really hoping the new director doesn't turn out to be a bad guy. I think he's based on an old Timely character from the 50s who acted as Captain America while Steve Rogers was frozen.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:11 pm

The pet terrigen statue was a nice twist ending. :lol:

They're really making good use of the Inhumans as a metaphor for the hate mongering that goes on in the world today, especially the United States. While the Inhumans themselves are a poor metaphor for real-life minorities, since they do present a legitimate danger, but by presenting it as a Humans versus Inhumans conflict, and making it a point to include all demographics in the anti-Inhuman crusade, they emphasize the nature of the problem without exacerbating the conflict between ethnic groups (or genders) as is currently the norm in the current political climate. And by making the hate group a bunch of Humans posing as Inhumans, they parallel the increasing use of sock puppets to manufacture artificial conflict. Very nicely done, but, of course, will the people who most need to get the message actually get the message.

Fitz really got to shine in this episode. Not only did he save the day with rudimentary science, but his teasing of Mack about Yo Yo cracked me up. :lol: And it's nice to see Yo Yo playing a bigger part. Her relationship, or maybe non-relationship as she might say, with Mack is fascinating to watch. It's unfortunate that her friends are so bigoted. Maybe this will mean she will be spending more time with SHIELD.

The Mad Scientist guy is hilarious and he and Simmons make a great team. I wonder if May will experience any after effects from her experience. That seemed way too easy.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:04 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:They're really making good use of the Inhumans as a metaphor for the hate mongering that goes on in the world today, especially the United States. While the Inhumans themselves are a poor metaphor for real-life minorities, since they do present a legitimate danger, but by presenting it as a Humans versus Inhumans conflict, and making it a point to include all demographics in the anti-Inhuman crusade, they emphasize the nature of the problem without exacerbating the conflict between ethnic groups (or genders) as is currently the norm in the current political climate. And by making the hate group a bunch of Humans posing as Inhumans, they parallel the increasing use of sock puppets to manufacture artificial conflict. Very nicely done, but, of course, will the people who most need to get the message actually get the message.

Yeah in the mainstream Marvel universe Mutants serve that purpose and the same basic plot was used in X-Men 2 with a faux Mutant attack on the White House being used to promote an agenda.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:54 pm

Ah, I don't think I saw that one. Mutants as a stand-in for oppressed groups in general has been a trope at Marvel since at least the 80s, but I think it's being used especially well here.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:52 pm

I actually watched this episode, hoping to see more of Ghost Rider. I'm disappointed he drives a Charger. Either way, the series looks a lot more interesting than when I gave up on it after episode 1. I might revisit it, someday.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:26 pm

^A lot has happened since then.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 pm

Indeed. Not all of it good, but for the most part I have enjoyed it a lot.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:05 pm

New episode tonight! :yes:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:58 pm

Sweet!

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:04 pm

And a good one. It's nice to see Daisy coming in from the cold and Ghost Rider getting with the team. Ghost Rider vs Fuse was a fight just waiting to happen. I wonder if Aida's learning about lying will amount to anything, considering the look on her face afterward. And Lola's back! Though apparently she can't fly anymore.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:42 pm

Yeah, poor Lola. What happened to her "flight functionality" and why won't Coulson let Mack fix her?

Something is bound to go awry with Aida, and there's trouble brewing since Simmons was able to spot that she was an android. That was a great scene when Aida was talking to Coulson about her hands and he replied that he's an amputee, too. Close call, but also kind of touching.

The fight between Fuse and GR was pretty good, especially the last-minute save when GR caught the flaming chain. Also when GR dragged Fuse's body out of the festive inferno and said, "You said alive, right?" :lol: And it was sure lucky for Coulson and company that all those fireworks knew enough to explode straight up.

I'm glad Daisy is back with the group, but I wonder how much she really can be back. Coulson was pretty grim, happy that she was okay, but not happy with the situation. And I don't think the new director will be very tolerant of her escapades.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:46 pm

I am disappointed with the CGI used for Ghost Rider, plus it would have been nice to see more of him in a fight.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Next

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube