Doctor Who - Series 10 - SPOILERS!

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Doctor Who - Series 10 - SPOILERS!

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:55 pm

It's time for the new season (more or less)! :tardis:

"The Return of Doctor Mysterio" is on tonight! And we meet our new companion. :bounce:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Doctor Who - Series 10 - SPOILERS!

Postby Lupine » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:02 pm

^We do? :unsure:

I thought she wouldn't turn up until the actual season.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Gary » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:47 pm

Lupine wrote:^We do? :unsure:

I thought she wouldn't turn up until the actual season.

Ayup.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

I guess it was a passable episode. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming series with Bill. Something tells me she's going to be quite an interesting companion.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:45 am

We don't meet the new Companion? I'm disappointed. I could have sworn I read that somewhere. :(

I'm looking forward to the Christmas Special still, though. I don't think Doctor Who has ever done a superhero story before.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:08 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:We don't meet the new Companion? I'm disappointed. I could have sworn I read that somewhere. :(

We get to meet a new companion, just not Bill. Though after the episode there were previews of her and the next season.

As for last night's outing, it actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting from the previews. The premise was cheesy but the plot played that up. I think Capaldi has finally found his grove with the role and he was clearly having fun. The episode itself wasn't as wham-bam or as moving as previous years, but not bad.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Of course, it didn't show up on On Demand this morning....

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Aw, River. :( What a sad epilogue to the story, but what a timely sentiment: "Things always end and it's always sad. But things are always beginning and it's always happy. Be happy."

24 years. :mellow:

The main story was very nice, although the only connection to Christmas seemed to be the prologue. There was nothing unusual about the alien brain plot-- it was similar, most recently, to the TV series BrainDead, but there have been a million like it. The superhero was sort of a cross between Superman and Batman, which was cool. And in true, highly optimistic fashion, the beautiful woman preferred the geeky alter ego. "I prefer you in your superhero costume." And she put his glasses on. :lol:

Also in true superhero fashion, the laws of physics were blatantly denied, but I loved him catching the spaceship with one hand-- and the wrong hand at that. :D

All in all, very enjoyable. I wouldn't mind seeing these characters again. They might even make good candidates for a spinoff.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:57 am

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:59 pm

^Not unexpected. There have been rumblings about that for some time. Pity as he was just starting to get into the grove with the role.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 pm

Yeah, I was expecting it, but it's sad to hear it officialized. He was my favorite of the modern Doctors. I just hope the new Companion doesn't lose her job because of it.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:54 pm

A new trailer is out! :tardis:

Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Gary » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Lupine wrote:A new trailer is out! :tardis:

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Is it only coincidence that the Doctor returns on Tax Day? :unsure:

Yeah, probably.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Guess what's back tonight! :dance:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:57 pm

It's about time! :tardis:

Actually, it really is about time. :D

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:54 pm

While still far from the old glory days the episode wasn't bad though it seems like a lot of British directors have ADHD these days. We got a mystery with the vault that the Doctor is guarding which I'm sure will come into play later in the season. Interestingly the camera focused on the picture of Susan on the Doctor's desk a few times. Does it portend a return? Or just fan wanking? However even with the director's ADHD I do have to give kudos to the scene where the Doctor was preparing to mind-wipe Bill. When she objects and asks how he'd feel if the same was done to him, Clara's theme starts playing in the background. That was a standout moment. Bill seems like she'll be a good companion, though she's a little slow on the uptake at times as pointed out by Nardole.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:30 pm

ADHD is common is movies and TV shows these days.

Hopefully I can watch it this afternoon without dozing off.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:45 pm

I like Bill, although I didn't care for the "scary creature of the week". Overall, a nice return to The Doctor -- plus, we were treated to a preview of The Doctor regenerating along with a clip of Missy.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:39 pm

I thought it was good. Bill is adorable and likeable-- I loved how the Doctor noticed her because she smiled when she didn't understand something, when everyone else frowned.

And it sets up some intriguing mysteries. The vault, for one. And then Bill mentioned that it was said that the Doctor had been teaching there for fifty to seventy-five years. Which means that all during the original years of Doctor Who and all through the revival years of Doctor Who, as well as all through the intervening years, this unprecedented thirteenth incarnation of the Doctor was wiling away his time there. Weird. It also means that Nardole is his longest Companion ever, by a long way.

It was definitely interesting that they drew attention to the pictures of River Song and Susan. Was it just nostalgia or sentimentality, or foreshadowing? Perhaps they will both make appearances.

Speaking of pictures, I liked how the Doctor went back in time to get pictures of Bill's mother for her. I'm not sure why she never said anything, though. But she certainly knew that there was something odd about him, even before getting into the TARDIS.

And it was funny how the Doctor never answered her question about the TARDIS being named in English. :unsure:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:And then Bill mentioned that it was said that the Doctor had been teaching there for fifty to seventy-five years. Which means that all during the original years of Doctor Who and all through the revival years of Doctor Who, as well as all through the intervening years, this unprecedented thirteenth incarnation of the Doctor was wiling away his time there.

Unless he's been teaching there periodically throughout his life. :unsure:

RJDiogenes wrote:And it was funny how the Doctor never answered her question about the TARDIS being named in English. :unsure:

I've wondered that myself. I think Susan originally took credit for the name. And last season the Doctor stated that it stood for Totally And Radically Driving In Space. :lol: My favorite, by the way.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Lupine wrote:Unless he's been teaching there periodically throughout his life. :unsure:

True. You can't take anything for granted with a time traveler.

I've wondered that myself. I think Susan originally took credit for the name. And last season the Doctor stated that it stood for Totally And Radically Driving In Space. :lol: My favorite, by the way.

Rock Star Doctor. :cooldude: But didn't Susan originally think that he was just an old Earthman who invented a time machine back then?

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Maybe in the (non-canon) movie version. But Susan was with him when he stole it on Gallifrey (at least she was in "The Name of the Doctor"). I'll have to watch the first episodes again to be sure- which can be found online.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:49 pm

If I remember correctly-- and I may not-- he wasn't a Time Lord at first, just an eccentric old inventor. The Time Lord thing came later as a retcon. And I thought Susan didn't know about it, but if they had her on Gallifrey when he stole the TARDIS, I may be wrong about that.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:55 pm

There's a brief scene in "The Name of the Doctor" where they show the Doctor and Susan stepping into a TARDIS, only to be interrupted by an incarnation of Clara advising him to take another TARDIS.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Well, I can't find anything on Wiki to backup my remembrances, so I'm probably wrong. But, interestingly, there is a rumor out there that the First Doctor will appear in the Christmas Special-- which could be connected to the picture of Susan on the desk.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Next

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube