Sleepy Hollow - Season 4 - SPOILERS!

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Sleepy Hollow - Season 4 - SPOILERS!

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Season 4 of Sleepy Hollow begins this Friday night. :eek:

As everyone knows, there will be some changes. Most dramatically, Nicole Beharie is gone and with her the relationship and chemistry that she had with Ichabod, which is what made the show so interesting. Thus I have mixed feelings about the show even being renewed. Also, the show will no longer be set in Sleepy Hollow, despite the name-- the setting will move to Washington DC.

On the plus side, the new cast member is Janina Gavankar, who played one of my favorite characters on True Blood. And, of course, Ichabod will still be there, along with Jenny (presumably she will join him in DC). So there is some cause for optimism.

Fingers crossed.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Re: Sleepy Hollow - Season 4 - SPOILERS!

Postby Lupine » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:56 pm

I've been wondering about the show. I'd heard about it being renewed but haven't seen anything since.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Yeah, they renewed it for 13 episodes and then delayed it till mid season. And put it on Friday. Its chances are not good.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Yeah, especially tonight when it runs against NBC's premier of Emerald City. Due to that I might watch it online tomorrow.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Cayla » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm hoping that all of the changes will revive the show.
Cayla
Senator
Senator

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 pm

I feel fear.

I'm also curious about Emerald City and might give it a try. On the one hand, the visuals I've seen are interesting. On the other, it seems like yet another Dark & Gritty remake.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Well the show is off to a good start. Agent Thomas is interesting and was far more engaging than Dorothy on Emerald City. It was fairly obvious that her daughter is the new Witness even before that final reveal. Fun seeing Boothe as a demon. The new guys at the archive looked to have come from the CW's casting lineup, but they're not bad if a little cliched. I wish I had watched this instead of Emerald City last night.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:58 pm

That sounds encouraging. I'm going to watch it in a couple of minutes.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:05 pm

"Your shoes are untied." :lol:

Well, this was surprisingly good, much to my relief-- although it didn't seem to match up with the ending of last season. Weren't those guys who picked him up supposed to be representatives of Washington's secret agency? Now the agency has devolved to just a couple of clerks and those goons were from some unknown organization? That was a nice fakeout, though, when they came upon the little office, but then were introduced to the real repository. That looks like it will be a nice replacement for the Archives in Sleepy Hollow. "This is the real secret history of America." Although I still worry about what will become of the Archives back in the Hollow.

The whole thing with Lincoln's head was totally off the wall, and the secret crypt holding the Demon Boothe was classic Sleepy Hollow weirdness. I would have preferred that the premiere involve something to do with the Revolution, but I'm glad they' haven't abandoned using relevant events from American history. And they even included an educational moment when Ichabod explained the meaning of "Columbia" to Jenny, which is a fairly arcane bit of knowledge these days.

I do like Janina Gavankar's character ("No good music has been written since 1984") and the two clerks show potential. I do wonder if Agent Thomas's daughter is really the new Witness, or if that's a red herring. Jenny's timely reappearance and reunion with Crane was well done and touching. Her comments to him that everything he sees around him is there because of him reflects back on George Washington's comment that he considers Crane one of the Founding Fathers. Good use was made of Washingtonian locations, so it seems the change of venue was not arbitrary on the producers' part. Iconic Americana is still going to be a fundamental part of the series.

All in all, the premiere was very nice, and while I'm still going to miss Abbie-- more specially, I'm going to miss the Abbie and Ichabod relationship-- Crane is still Crane (I loved the "Kryptonite" moment) and the new characters are good. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:48 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:I do wonder if Agent Thomas's daughter is really the new Witness, or if that's a red herring.

It's possible. What made me start thinking she was the witness was that she had fainted around the same time Abby had died. Not to mention she was in the opening credits.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:20 pm

Yeah, it sounded like she fainted when Abbie died, and she's been sketching Crane in her book. It seems almost too obvious somehow. And I wonder what the muteness is about.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:55 pm

New episode tonight! :yes:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Sweet. I hope they keep up the quality of last week.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Not as strong as last week with a rather generic monster on the loose plot. But the plot did serve to help Agent Thomas settle in. They now realize that her daughter in likely the next Witness. I'm glad they cleared that up and the aphasia as I thought they'd drag it out. I also liked the new guy nerding out over Ichabod, thinking he's a time traveler :lol: .
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:02 pm

I agree that it wasn't quite as strong as last week. The biggest problem was the witches were not very good actresses. I did like their spooky, run-down house, cloaked from view on perpetually ceded land. You have to wonder if anyone in the government has ever looked at that over the years. "Why are we not doing anything with this tract of land, Senator? It would make a great place for an office building." "Hey, President Washington said nobody touches that, so don't even think about it." Maybe the witches have a spell that cloaks their budget line item as well as their house.

The meeting of Ichabod and the girl was handled a bit awkwardly, too. Agent Thomas didn't think it odd that she started speaking again when she saw Ichabod? And the girl, despite saying hello to him, has decided not to mention that she recognizes him and has been sketching pictures of him? That whole thing did not really flow well.

I do like the two Archive nerds, though, and how they are slowly figuring out that something is up with Crane. I like how the woman snarkily shot down his time travel theory, but he failed to come up with the obvious answer-- he's not from the past, he's visiting the past from the future. I can imagine what the guy will think when he finds out Crane spent 200-plus years in a grave. Zombie! :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:05 pm

New episode tonight! :ghost:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Sweet. I hope Crane comes clean about his origins.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:51 pm

^And he did with Wells nerding out as usual. :lol: Thomas though did not seem as happy and even less happy when she figured out on her own that her daughter was the next Witness. The headless horseman now has the ability to change form and even to put on disposable heads. I'm glad that they showed the President as a African-American woman, otherwise the though of beheading the President might not have seemed like such a terrible thing. :lol:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Is it Michelle? :eek: :D

The Headless Horseman can change form? I'm not sure if I like that idea.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:52 pm

^Yeah he could change the horse into a motorcycle and himself into a generic rider. :conf:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:55 pm

^^ Could he change the horse, too, or did he steal that motorcycle from somebody? :unsure:

This was definitely a step up from last week. The sidekick characters are working out well, especially the guy, who is a lovable nerd-- he's so psyched about Crane being a time traveler. And I love how they confirmed Crane is from another time by analyzing a strand of his hair. But I hope Agent Thomas quickly realizes that her daughter's status as a Witness is beyond her and everybody else's control and that it must be dealt with-- her anger and resentment toward Crane is irrational and won't work over the long term. And this show doesn't really have a long term.

The hidden street was a nice idea, quite consistent with the secret-history-of-America theme, although they were a bit sloppy trapping Headless in an open-ended tunnel. You'd think they would have hired someone to brick up the other end. Come to think of it, was it sunny at the other end of that tunnel when it was supposed to be nighttime? I'll have to go back and re-watch that. In any case, I'm not too happy with Headless's new shape-shifting abilities. I hope there's a good reason why he's back and why he has these new powers and abilities.

Crane's Kung Fu-like flashbacks to the Revolution are always welcome. His encounter with Benjamin Banneker in his hermitage was both amusing and consistent with the Steampunkish version of history we've seen. What would you call fantastically advanced science of that era, anyway? Enlightenmentpunk doesn't really have a ring to it. Horse-drawnpunk? Yankeepunk? Colonial Punk sounds like an insurance company. Anyway, hopefully that wasn't Crane's only encounter with Banneker. I wonder if we'll see any more appearances by familiar Colonial-Era characters this year, like Betsy Ross or Grace Dixon.

I'm still not too crazy about the idea of the new Witness being a kid. It's not too dramatically appealing and it raises a lot of questions about how the whole Witness thing got started and how they are assigned and so forth. I'm reminded of how weird things got on Buffy when they finally revealed the origins of the Slayer powers-- that didn't really go so well.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:05 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:^^ Could he change the horse, too, or did he steal that motorcycle from somebody? :unsure:

I think he changed the horse. :unsure: I could be wrong.

RJDiogenes wrote:You'd think they would have hired someone to brick up the other end. Come to think of it, was it sunny at the other end of that tunnel when it was supposed to be nighttime? I'll have to go back and re-watch that.

Yeah it was daylight on the other side and I'm assuming that the tunnel went to some other realm. Note that something seemed to run passed them in the tunnel.

RJDiogenes wrote:What would you call fantastically advanced science of that era, anyway? Enlightenmentpunk doesn't really have a ring to it. Horse-drawnpunk? Yankeepunk? Colonial Punk sounds like an insurance company.

:veryhappy:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:15 pm

^^ :D

Lupine wrote:I think he changed the horse. :unsure: I could be wrong.

I hope there's going to be an explanation for these new powers, plus his sudden decision to head to Washington.

Yeah it was daylight on the other side and I'm assuming that the tunnel went to some other realm. Note that something seemed to run passed them in the tunnel.

I didn't notice that. Maybe it's a time tunnel. But didn't the goofy rich guy and his partner show up on the other side? That's kind of weird.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:16 pm

The partner's obviously not human,possibly a demon, so it might be his realm.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:19 pm

That's a thought. I was actually wondering who was the real boss in that partnership, and the goofy guy "jokingly" mentioned selling his soul. The question is, why would the Founding Fathers have a hidden street in Washington that leads to another realm?

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Next

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube