The Orville - Season One - SPOILERS!

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Re: The Orville - Season One - SPOILERS!

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:14 pm

This was good, although definitely not the best episode of the year. It's definitely a story that could only be done on a comedy, since the premise is so ridiculous. There's no way two unprepared officers could infiltrate a completely unfamiliar society, nor would that society ever be fooled for a fraction of a second by their bumbling attempts at subterfuge. Before the show came on the air, they compared the mixture of comedy and drama to M*A*S*H, but I think I've settled on Get Smart as a better comparison.

Another thing that dragged the episode down a bit was the alien ship. After several episodes where a real sense of wonder and exotica was on display, with special effects that emphasized artistry of realism, the design of the ship was very mundane, down to a chapel and bridge that differed from human designs in no important way. It was also stretching credulity that a species that is so sensitive to ultraviolet that mere seconds of exposure char broils them would have ceiling lights that could be so easily jury-rigged to emit deadly radiation.

Other than that, the story itself was very well done, and most of the comedy was well integrated into the plot. I loved the opening sequence in the mess hall where the junior members of the bridge crew were just hanging out and chatting (although Alara's boyfriend problem remains incongruous). And the mission itself, to learn more about the Krill in the hopes of avoiding war, was more Trek than Trek. Mercer and Malloy's reaction to finding kids on board was commendable, and the lengths they went to to save the kids was heartbreakingly noble. The ending was indeed ominous, but the implication was that the adult Krill would remain with the Union as a prisoner, so perhaps she will return and learn more about humanity.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:52 pm

New episode tonight? :unsure:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:36 pm

Sadly, no. It's back next week, though. I don't know if they're showing a repeat tonight or if it's being pre-empted or what.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Bummer. I guess I'll watch the latest episode of Star Trek Continues instead.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Looks like they re-ran the pilot. Maybe as a refresher for new viewers who were drawn in by word-of-mouth.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:39 pm

The Orville returns tonight! :bounce:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Woot!
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Lupine » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Wow. That was one of the most freakishly topical episodes of television I've seen in a long while. This will bound to irate some of the audience in light of the Weinstein fiasco. The sound track once again echoed the theme of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but this reminded me more of an episode of Sliders. It had some of the same weaknesses of the last episode with the crew wandering into a culture they really needed to know better before diving in. But the social commentary more than made up for the weakness.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:35 pm

And it still hasn't appeared on On Demand. Damn. It sounds like another great episode.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:39 am

Okay, better late than never.

This was another wonderful episode, a perfect example of what episodic and allegorical storytelling should be. There were certainly weaknesses and plot holes in the storytelling-- the characters have a tendency to blunder about in unknown environments, which was particularly odd in a case where they had been receiving reports from a couple of anthropologists-- but the comedic format is more forgiving of this kind of conceit than a straight drama would be.

The satire of contemporary social media was perfect (and they even managed to sneak in a jab at the current cultural appropriation meme) and Isaac's comment, ironically, reminded me of Asimov's quote about "the false notion that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." And the sense of wonder experienced by the native girl when she was brought aboard the Orville was nice to see, and a pleasant reversal of the airheaded characterization that she was given at the start of the story.

The greatest weakness of the story, unfortunately, was John himself. Aside from the racial stereotyping that has been there since the beginning (which is probably considered cultural correctness by the current generation), he was really portrayed as wrong, unrepentant, and generally unlikable here. Flaws in the system aside, the public was right to give him down votes. Also, he wasn't very wise to mouth off at the guards or his publicity guy, because just four more votes would have gotten him brain fried.

Other than that, the characters and their interactions were terrific, as usual. This is a group of likeable and interesting people that I really enjoy visiting with.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:32 pm

New episode tonight! :bounce:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 pm

And I've just learned that Orville is renewed for a second season. :twothumbsup:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:01 pm

And I've used this occasion to start that news thread that I've been talking about for a while

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Fox's On Demand isn't working right now and DirecTV's is offering next week's episode. :wtf: :conf:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:13 pm

You have next week's episode available? Did you watch it? :eek:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:30 pm

I was tempted but I was worried I'd spoil this week's. Not to mention DirecTV's ON-Demand function is unreliable.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:09 pm

I wouldn't be able to resist. :lol: I'll hold off on posting my review....

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 pm

The episode still isn't working on Fox's website. It's now up on DirecTV's but only for TV- which my receiver doesn't have the capability for. I even tried watching next week's but had the same problem.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:21 pm

That's weird. Last week it was a couple of days late for me, and showed up on On Demand on cable before it showed up on the On Demand Xfinity app. This week it was on the Xfinity app first thing the next morning. You'd think it would show up everywhere at once immediately, so they could maximize ratings.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:46 pm

In the case of Fox it looks like some kind of technical glitch. I tried with Firefox, then with Opera, and finally was able to watch it on Chrome.

I liked this one, even with the general cliches like the unruly kids and such. Ironic that Isaac seemed to have a better time parenting than the doctor. :lol: Cliches aside though it was the characterization that saved this. The funniest moment was the one crew member reported spilled soy sauce in a damage report and the Captain saying "We need better people" :lol: .
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:32 pm

^^ That was funny. I also liked the "Glory Hole" gag.

So, the previews for this episode didn't look terribly exciting, although I was looking forward to the focus being on Claire and Isaac-- this show has been good on giving attention to all their characters. Well, it was pretty exciting, but I can't say that it was up to the standards of most of the previous episodes. I've gotten spoiled by Orville already. I feel cheated when there's no message.

Of the two characters in the spotlight, Isaac fared the best. Although these hyper-intelligent characters who express constant naivete over illogical humans and their culture strain credulity, it's almost always amusing and serves to throw an objective light on humanity. And here we see that Isaac's characterization is clearly defined and he is neither Spock nor Data-- he has no inner turmoil over whether to be more or less human, but he is very interested in the subject without being critical. And he has no objection to adapting to his surroundings, as witness his willingness to hold the kid's hand and his unsolicited gesture to Claire later on. He learns without prejudice, making him very likeable. Claire, on the other hand, was just given the standard trope of the mother out to protect her babies. It was done very well, but the only thing we really learned is that Claire set out to be a single mother.

I was a bit disappointed that the Jell-O Guy didn't freak out more over Claire's disappearance, although he did make a concerned statement. This makes me think that there's either a scene on the cutting-room floor or it will be followed up in a future episode.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:51 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:I've gotten spoiled by Orville already. I feel cheated when there's no message.

Actually I think the message was not to take your loved ones for granted.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:06 pm

True, the story definitely had meaning, but not in a wider social sense, like the sex change or social media episodes. It was a very good family story and character study.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 pm

Think there's a new episode tonight.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:55 pm

There is, and it features the inevitable return of the blue guy from the first episode. :saucer:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

PreviousNext

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube