Once Upon A Time- Season 7- SPOILERS

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Once Upon A Time- Season 7- SPOILERS

Postby Lupine » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:07 pm

It's back tonight!

Not sure what this will be like as it's effectively a new show.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Re: Once Upon A Time- Season 7- SPOILERS

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Aha! It's here. Yes, this will certainly be interesting. I'm a bit nervous about it.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm still trying to sort out my thoughts on it.
This is for all practical purposes a reboot, though they did their best to tie it into the old show. The budget is obviously smaller and there are fewer characters. There's an interesting premise that there are alternate versions of Snow White, Cinderella, and Alice out there. But that's given a quick throwaway line and I can't help but wonder how many viewers who might have missed that felt confused by the end of this. We get a new telling of Cinderella here and clearly Henry and her hit it off at some point (they have a daughter, a usual giveaway). But disappointingly the show retreaded the original plot with fairytale characters with wiped memories living under the thumb of a domineering baddy- in this instance Cinderella's stepmother. This gave the plot a been there, done that feel. There are good questions to be resolved, like how Regina, Hook, and Rumpy ended up here and that did pique my interest.
But I do think this will be the final season of the show, assuming it gets through this one.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Hmm. I guess we'll have to see. I wonder if we'll ever get to see that place with all the doorways again-- maybe this is a world accessible through there.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Yeah, this was very much a repeat of the original (and oft-repeated premise) of the new identity curse. In this case, it didn't create a new town because obviously they wanted to go with a more urban and ethnic vibe (although apparently not enough to actually delve into the folklore of other cultures). Why there is yet another curse and why only six people got caught in it this time-- and why it sent them to Seattle-- remains to be seen. Not to mention how the kid found out. The library of books with alternate versions of the Fairy Tales does justify the alternate versions of the characters, but the re-use of familiar names just adds to the feeling of repetitiveness. I hope they resolve this quickly and move off in a new direction.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 pm

New episode tonight. Hoping it's more engaging than last week's.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Lupine » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:02 pm

And it was. This was much better than last week's and I think they should have tied this with the premiere episode as it would have made it far more engaging. Kudos to the writers for good use of misdirection. With the return of dumpy Hook from the wish realm, the idea that Detective Hook would actually frame Henry became thinkable. Was this the original Hook or the replacement? The plot also explained, at least in part how Hook and Regina ended up in Hyperion Heights. No explanation for Rumpy yet, but even his character pulled out a surprise.
There was a slight continuity hiccup with the idea of formerly dumpy Hook having a daughter and the subtle-ish hint that alt-Cinderella might be her. If he was created by Emma's wish last season, how did alt-Cinderella happen? Unless she's from that realm too. Hopefully that will be explained.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:45 pm

This was definitely a better episode than last week. It was quite a surprise that this season's Hook is our Hook's reprobate double-- at first, I didn't like that idea, but then I realized it was quite clever, because it means that our Hook is still with Emma as they start their own family. It was also pretty slick how they first implied that something bad had happened to Emma, only to reveal that the truth is quite the opposite.

But it's kind of weird that the headliners this year include a grown-up Henry, an alternate Hook, and regular Regina-- unless she turns out to be an alternate, too. And it seems to be regular Rumpy, too, except now, like Diogenes ( :D), he seems to be looking for an honest man. It will be interesting to see how this all came about.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Kind of back to the retread plots. An evil queen, a resistance, a hidden cave with pre-curse relics, dark secrets, people coming together to save something special. The only thing really keeping last episode afloat is the mystery of what Rumpy might be up to and who the strange woman in Belfrey's tower is.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Oops. I completely forgot. I must get used to the change in the day. :blush:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:36 pm

They definitely seem to be recycling all the same old tropes, despite the new cast and new location. And the underground tunnel complex is very curious. It made sense in Storybrooke, since the whole town was created by the curse, but how did the curse put tunnels under Seattle? And how did Henry's family's graves suddenly appear? Is this a dynamic curse, or is New Evil Queen able to install updates as needed?

Strangely, Lucy doesn't seem as involved in the plot as compared to Henry, except to hang around and constantly exhort people to remember. And we still have no idea how she came to be aware of their true Fairy Tale lives. She doesn't seem to have a book, like Henry had-- unless Henry's book is playing that role, and simply reading it was enough to trigger her awareness.

But we do have more of an idea of the characters' backgrounds. Cinderella is somehow responsible for getting her sister Anastasia killed-- or maybe put into a Snow White-like coma. I'm guessing that the chained woman is a third sister. Or stepsister.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:37 pm

^She definitely isn't on good terms with Belfrey.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Yeah, and that's a mystery, too. Despite being a prisoner, she's not afraid of her. And she's not under the curse, despite being in this world.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:58 pm

New episode tonight! :bounce:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:03 pm

I almost forgot. :blush:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:47 pm

I know, it's hard getting used to a new night.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Better the last weeks, making me wonder if the show is going to alternate between weak re-tread plots and good original stories. As for last night Rumpy and Belle's story was poignant but really sad at the end. It's good they lived a long life together, even if it was in some weird time-distorting realm. But sad to see that story end.
Alt-Alice was turning into an interesting character. Apparently well meaning but rather bonkers. Not sure what's up with Ivy. We saw some character development but the ending scene with Henry makes me wonder if she's really changing- or just out to screw Alt-Cinderella over by taking Henry from her. But those two characters do emphasis the weakness of this season. We have two side-characters who are more engaging than many of the heroes, especially Alt-Cinderella who is so far rather one dimensional.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:22 pm

It sounds like the Rumpy and Belle story is somewhat like what I expected, except for the alternate dimension part.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 pm

Well, that was certainly a sad story-- or, rather, bittersweet. It was nice that Rumpy and Belle got their happy ending. Except it wasn't really an ending, and now Rumpy is like an unquiet ghost, wanting to be reunited with his love. But we did learn that Storybrooke has quieted down, and that Rumpy became the good person that he should have been, and that Rumpy and Belle had a nice, long life together in that beautiful wilderness at the edge of the world.

Alice is an amusing and intriguing character-- although I get a little tired of these stories that portray mental health care-- especially medicine-- as harmful, rather than helpful. But somehow she was able to beat the curse and Rumpy had the foresight to give her the teacup and tell her to use it. I wonder why it didn't work.

That last scene did seem to imply that Ivy has her eye on Henry-- but is she sincere, out to beat Jacinda, or acting on instructions from Mother?

Lupine wrote:But those two characters do emphasis the weakness of this season. We have two side-characters who are more engaging than many of the heroes, especially Alt-Cinderella who is so far rather one dimensional.

I like Alt-Cinderella, but I'm disappointed that Regina has done pretty much nothing but tend bar so far this year.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:04 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:But somehow she was able to beat the curse and Rumpy had the foresight to give her the teacup and tell her to use it. I wonder why it didn't work.

The shooting seems to have worked though since he made of point of calling Belfrey "Deary" and saying that she couldn't hurt him anymore.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:42 am

I wondered about that, plus letting Alice go-- I wonder if he will try to restore everyone else's memories.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:29 pm

I think there's a new episode tonight.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:08 pm

There is. I forgot again. :no: I've really got to write up a schedule or something.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Got a impressive wham moment at the end of this one with the revelation about Ivy/Drusela. Really didn't see that coming. Kudos to the writers for pulling that off. Still not sure who the woman in the tower is, other than she likes tea. I missed who exactly Hook was searching for but judging by the scene with the Rune guy there's more brewing there. I also like the slight twist to the Princess and the Frog flashback, even though it did deviate from the movie.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:16 pm

So Ivy is actually Jacinda's evil stepsister both in the Enchanted Forest and Cursed Seattle. And she's playing everybody-- too bad, because I was hoping that Henry had won her over.

Roni finding that picture of herself and Henry was an interesting twist, and ties things even more closely to the the original concept. The question is why does Belfry have this picture in her belfry? And who is her prisoner? Rapunzel? She's locked in a tower and has long hair.....

While I like Jacinda, she's really all over the map with her waffling and emotional meltdowns and bad decision making. Her kid is more mature than she is, and it's not hard to see why she lost custody. Is this part of her character arc, or just bad writing? The other problem with this aspect of the plot is that the actress who plays Princess Tiana is just not doing it for me. She's not very convincing.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Next

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube