The Watching Thread #3

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

The Watching Thread #3

Postby Lupine » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:15 pm

I caught the first episode of Minority Report last night. I had intended to catch it on Monday but forgot it was on.
Not bad, though formulaic and quite reminiscent of Sleepy Hollow with a haggard police woman teaming up with a socially inept partner whose off the grid. The show looked great though. But probably too expensive to stay on the air.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Re: The Watching Thread #3

Postby Gary » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Last night was In the Loop. It was done in that quirky, quasi-shaky cam style done on reality shows but had some hilarious moments. People best know Peter Capaldi from this in his portrayal of Malcolm Tucker, the Scotsman who kicked out the vulgar one-liners and insults on people like no tomorrow.

Malcolm Tucker: Linton! Linton!
Linton Barwick: Mr Tucker, isn't it? Nice to see you again.
Malcolm Tucker: Are you fucking me about?
Linton Barwick: Is there a problem, Mr Tucker?
Malcolm Tucker: I've just come from a briefing with a nine-year-old child.
Linton Barwick: You're talking about AJ. AJ is one of our top guys. He's a Stanton College Prep, Harvard. One of the brightest and best.
Malcolm Tucker: Well, his briefing notes were written in alphabetti spaghetti. When I left, I nearly tripped up over his fucking umbilical cord.
Linton Barwick: I'm sorry it troubles you that our people achieve excellence at such an early age. But could we just move on to what's important here? Now, I understand that your Prime Minister has asked you to supply us with some, say, fresh British intelligence, is that true?
Malcolm Tucker: Yeah, apparently, your fucking master race of highly-gifted toddlers can't quite get the job done...
Linton Barwick: All right.
Malcolm Tucker: ...between breast feeds and playing with their Power Rangers. So, an actual grown-up has been asked to fucking bail you out.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:08 pm

Really tough Regeneration this time. :lol:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:43 pm

Well, I've watched the premieres of Scream Queens and Heroes Reborn. I think both are worth continuing with. The new Muppet show has already started, too, so I'll check that out next.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:11 am

I've had some interesting fare both via Netflix streaming as well as DVD service; however, I can't remember some of what I watched via streaming. Anyway, I caught Mad Max: Fury Road the other night and, suffice to say, found it....interesting. Great action and interesting set pieces built (the post-apocalyptic vehicles) along with some humorous dialog exchanges, but over all :mellow:

I am eight episodes into Boardwalk Empire and find it nothing like I expected. I thought Steve Buscemi's character would be more violent and calculating rather than the more quiet and giving character.

Tonight's viewing will be Avengers: Age of Ultron. I'm jazzed as I haven't seen any of this year's Marvel releases.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:42 pm

I finally watched the last episode of Mr. Robot, which was a bit anticlimactic.

This morning at Mom's we watched some silent movies on TCM On Demand, all by an early filmmaker named Alice Guy. One was an episodic account of the life of Christ, which had some pretty amazing sets-- the sets were like theater and impressive in their artistry. Another one was a domestic comedy about a spat between a married couple who each suspect the other of having an affair. There was slapstick, misunderstandings, and even test messaging-- it could have been made in 2015 with the exact same plot.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:01 pm

Well, Ultron was another home-run by Marvel. Some of the dialog was great, such as the team giving Captain America grief because he chastised Tony for using profanity or when Hulk was on a rampage and Iron Man was fighting him with the Hulk Buster armor. Internet rumors believe the end of the movie may be setting up for Planet Hulk, which would be a surprise considering the Hulk has had trouble carrying his own films.

Ant Man is in my queue and will arrive in a few weeks.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:52 pm

It seems like the movies are going to be all based on past "events" in the MU. The next Captain America will be based on Civil War. All the more reason for me to avoid them.

I went to the TCM website today to see if there was anything in the way of silent movies to get my Mother for Christmas. Holy Toledo, Ohio, what a treasure trove of obscurities and rarities. I could spend a thousand bucks there without blinking. :loopy:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:26 pm

This Saturday morning, my Mother and I watched Horse Feathers on TCM-- the Marx Brothers, co-starring Thelma Todd. I love Thelma Todd, but it always makes me sad to watch her.

Saturday night I watched my DVD of Madam Satan, which is an extraordinarily insane pre-code Cecil B Demille musical. Allegedly a musical, but there's actual very little singing-- so little that it's quite anomalous when somebody breaks into song. The first half is a domestic marriage drama and the second half is a surreal costume party aboard a dirigible-- which promptly gets struck by lightning, blows away in a storm, breaks into pieces, and crashes-- necessitating that all partygoers parachute to safety. All of them land in "comical" places. The best friend lands in the lion's cage at the zoo, the "other woman" crashes through the skylight of a men's locker room, the wife lands in a convertible, interrupting a couple who is making out. I recommend this as an affordable alternative to LSD.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Also, I'm finally watching Interstellar.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 pm

I caught the premiere episode of The Last Kingdom after Doctor Who the other night. Brutal but not as juvenile as The Vikings.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:40 pm

I finished Interstellar and it was pretty good, although not as good as the hype would have you believe. It was basically a re-write of 2001 with more "relatable" characters (i.e. unshaven, duplicitous, and murderous). Even the HAL substitutes were programmed to act more human. The Monolith was an artificial Black Hole and the aliens were (apparently) future Humans. The science and special effects were mostly realistic, although the idea of three habitable planets in orbit around a Black Hole, close enough to feel time dilation effects, strained credulity just a teeny bit. Still, it was nice to see a movie where time dilation was not only acknowledged, but a part of the plot. It's definitely worth watching. The biggest problem was that the audio was absolutely awful. I could not understand a word anybody said, and I had to use the subtitles to follow the dialogue.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Oh HAI! Been a while....anyway, I finished Boardwalk Empire. That series had some serious dark moments and wanton violence that was probably period accurate, although I do realize Hollywood took a few (truckload) of liberties. This past weekend I watched The Color of Money since I had caught The Hustler this past summer. Paul Newman was great, Tom Cruise (early role) was annoying, and Mary Elizabeth Mastrano was really cute.

There is a BBC series titled Jekyll and Hyde that I have queued up on Netflix via DVD. I will be watching that once I get through a couple of movies.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:15 pm

I couldn't get into Boardwalk Empire, even though I love the Roaring 20s. I saw Color Of Money back in the 80s and enjoyed it quite a bit. This was before we knew how whacko Cruise is, so I didn't think much of him, but Paul Newman was fantastic.

Today I began my Halloween Marathon with Jean Rollins' The Rape of the Vampire, The Devil Doll on TCM, and a re-watch of the silent classic The Golem. I think I'm in the mood for a Creepshow re-watch now.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:58 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:I couldn't get into Boardwalk Empire, even though I love the Roaring 20s. I saw Color Of Money back in the 80s and enjoyed it quite a bit. This was before we knew how whacko Cruise is, so I didn't think much of him, but Paul Newman was fantastic.

Today I began my Halloween Marathon with Jean Rollins' The Rape of the Vampire, The Devil Doll on TCM, and a re-watch of the silent classic The Golem. I think I'm in the mood for a Creepshow re-watch now.

Cruise has done some weird stuff. No doubt about that; however, one thing he has done well is to brand himself as an action star. I've seen lots of online discussions where people discovered this in the movie Edge of Tomorrow and followed up with the same for many of his other movies.

He never should have been cast as Jack Reacher (Cruise is 5'7" and the character Jack Reacher is 6'-4"), yet the material and his abilities allowed him to pull it off so well that a sequel is in the works.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:00 pm

He just creeps me out. :lol:

Yesterday, I had the Hammer Marathon on while reading a couple of Pulp anthologies, and last night I saw part of Cat People. This morning, my Mother and I watched Dementia 13 and part of Fearless Vampire Killers.

Tonight is the premiere of Ash vs. The Evil Dead on Starz. :D

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:24 pm

I watched the first episode of Ash vs. Evil Dead. Loved it!
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Wasn't that great? :D Lots of humor, as expected, but they didn't skimp on the scariness or creepiness at all. It very much felt like The Evil Dead. And all of the cast is really good. I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:09 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Wasn't that great? :D Lots of humor, as expected, but they didn't skimp on the scariness or creepiness at all. It very much felt like The Evil Dead. And all of the cast is really good. I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

His romantic interlude in the bar's restroom, along with the fantastic classic metal soundtrack, really drove home that this show is going to stay true to its roots :lol:
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Gary » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:12 pm

Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm not sure what just happened to me, but I liked it. :mellow:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Last night was Puncture.

A David and Goliath law drama about a drug-addicted lawyer who takes on a health supply corporation while battling his own personal demons.

Chris Evans does well as the drug addicted lawyer who firmly believes in doing what's right when it comes to litigation.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:35 pm

This morning, my Mother and I watched a few episodes of Alfred Hitchcock. A very young William Shatner appeared in one-- not just pre-Star Trek, but pre-Twilight Zone and pre-Outer Limits. Billy Barty appeared as a ventriloquist's dummy, sort of.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:35 pm

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby australis » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:09 pm

When I was pitching stories to VOY, I was talking to a staff writer called Raf Green. In light of the new Trek series announcement, I wondered what he was up to, and found he was a staff writer on a show called 'Perception'. I'd say it was commissioned after 'Elementary', has a neuroscientist who is also schizophrenic, and his hallucinations and manic behaviour plays into helping the FBI solve murders and whatnot. 3 seasons ot there. Actually it's not bad, I like the way the plot has some good twists and it ends up far from where you think it will be.

BTW, if any of you have contacts that can get me to talk to Alex Kurtzman, I'd appreciate it. Would like to get a writer position, and he has been canvassing superfans with series ideas up on the net, so they haven't found The Idea yet, and I wouldn't mind adding to that.
"... times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
australis
Centurion
Centurion

Next

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube