The Watching Thread #3

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Re: The Watching Thread #3

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:15 pm

^^ Anything with Darren McGavin is great. :D

I'm still watching Timeless, which seems to get better with every episode. The last one involved the American Revolution, George Washington, Cornwallis, and Benedict Arnold-- and an encounter with the founder of the conspiracy, Rittenhouse, played by Armin Shimmerman. Things really got ramped up, with Cornwallis being killed (that will change history just a wee bit) and Lucy being kidnapped in the other time machine. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that this show gets renewed.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:17 am

Eye in the Sky

Colonel Katherine Powell is a UK-based military officer in command of a top secret drone operation to capture terrorists in Kenya. Through remote surveillance and on-the-ground intel, Powell discovers the targets are planning a suicide bombing and the mission escalates from "capture" to "kill." But as American pilot Steve Watts (Aaron Paul) is about to engage, a nine-year old girl enters the kill zone triggering an international dispute, reaching the highest levels of US and British government, over the moral, political, and personal implications of modern warfare.

One of Alan Rickman's last movies. Really great movie with the moral and political implications of war.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:24 pm

The implications of "modern" warfare. At least we try not to hurt non-combatants. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:08 am

I've started watching the Netflix series The Crown. I don't understand why John Lithgow was selected to play Winston Churchill. Perhaps this is to get back at all the Brits who "steal" American roles (i.e. Superman) :lol: \

So far, its is a very enjoyable series. If Matt Smith's portrayal of Prince Phillip is as accurate as I believe, then I have to say he (Phillip) is quite the character. He reminds me of Theodore Roosevelt in how he interacts with children.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:23 pm

For Christmas I got Games of Thrones Season Four, Captain America: The First Avenger, and an X-Men Double Feature, which includes First Class and Days of Future Past.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:43 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:For Christmas I got Games of Thrones Season Four, Captain America: The First Avenger, and an X-Men Double Feature, which includes First Class and Days of Future Past.

If you haven't watched Days of Future Past yes, be prepared to laugh yourself silly when watching Quicksilver's slo-mo kitchen scene. I had to pause the movie due to laughing so hard.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:03 pm

^Highlight of the movie. Though I enjoyed Days of Future Past more than any other of the movies.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:36 am

That's the only one of these three that I haven't seen yet, so I hope to be able to watch it this week. I loved the original story in the X-Men comic back in 1979 or so when it was first published, but I'm sure this will be different.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:55 am

I watched Suicide Squad this evening. I was a lot better than Batman vs. Superman and, I have to say, the Wonder Woman trailer makes that movie look very interesting as well.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Gary wrote:It was a lot better than Batman vs. Superman

Then again so would 90 minutes of vomiting hamsters.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:01 pm

^^ That's for sure. :lol:

Wonder Woman does look pretty good, except for the painful secretary part. I like that it's a period piece, although it's weird that they went with WWI instead of WWII.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:33 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:^^ That's for sure. :lol:

Wonder Woman does look pretty good, except for the painful secretary part. I like that it's a period piece, although it's weird that they went with WWI instead of WWII.

Nah, WWI makes for a better time. WWII has been done to death as a link for damn near everything.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:49 pm

The WWII Era was the origin of a lot of contemporary culture. I prefer it when they adhere closely to the source material.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:39 pm

Today I watched Days of Future Past, in which they did not adhere closely to the source material. :lol: Still, it was a good movie with nice character work and plot-- although I hardly think that Magneto's dropping a stadium on the White House and threatening the US President would be any less effective than Mystique assassinating Bolivar Trask at fueling anti-Mutant hysteria, and thus the Sentinel Program. I also don't remember Bolivar Trask being a midget. :lol: He was actually played by the same guy who plays Tyrion in Game of Thrones.

I also noticed that the Logan of the 70s had bony claws. This was a retcon in the comics that was done in the early 2000s, I think. It's interesting to me, because back in the 70s, when the character was created, the claws were portrayed as purely bionic, I always thought it was a pretty odd thing-- then, in the early 80s, when it was revealed that his skeleton had been replaced with adamantium, I suggested that he must have started out with real claws and they turned to metal when his skeleton was replaced. Twenty years later, Marvel got the same idea. :lol:

Anyway, I liked all the period touches, such as the music and Logan stabbing the water bed-- and the cameo appearance by Richard Nixon. :lol: Pietro's kitchen scene was pretty funny-- it was kind of a shame that the character got left behind. The only thing I didn't really like was that I expected Logan to be saved at the end by Magneto, not Mystique.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:37 am

IIRC, the bony claws carried over from the earlier Wolverine film when the Adamantium claws were ripped out of his hands. That resulted in his body regenerating bone claws.

And yes, I told you the scene in the kitchen was great.

Tonight's fare was the 2016 version of The Magnificent Seven. It was better than I expected. 4.5 of 5 stars.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:19 pm

That's funny, the movies did the bony claws in reverse order. :lol:

Tonight will continue my decades-long New Year's Eve tradition of switching back and forth between the Twilight Zone and Three Stooges Marathons. Twilight Zone is already playing on the Sciffy Channel and I'm counting on Channel 38 to come through with Three Stooges.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:23 pm

I should check in on the Twilight Zone marathon. There's quite a few I really like.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:58 pm

They'll save the really classic ones for prime time. But it's just pleasant having it on in the background as I do things.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:13 pm

The Twilight Zone is available via Netflix streaming. I am about halfway through all of the seasons.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Gary » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Last night, I watched a Netflix production titles Spectral. I recommend it for those of you who have Netflix and enjoy some intelligent Sci-Fi.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Gary » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Last night, while recovering from whatever it is that ails me, I watched To Kill a Mockingbird. I had never seen it before, nor have I read the book. I thought it was a fantastic story and well done movie.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:57 pm

^It's slightly better than the book. The book does tend to drag in places.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 pm

Who likes Futurama? Check out the YouTube thread. B)

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:18 am

Last night was Jason Bourne. Meh.. It didn't really add anything to the Bourne storyline, plus the car chase scene wasn't that great. The car chase scene in The Bourne Supremacy is one of the best in cinema.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Caught the first two parts of Emerald City last night. It was interesting and very stylish, though reminiscent to the extreme of Game of Thrones. Looks like it was filmed in Spain and used Gaudi structures in Barcelona for sets. Nice. However the characters weren't very engaging and the plot threw in a truck load of mysteries which kind of overwhelmed the storyline. If it comes down to a choice between Sleepy Hollow and this, Sleepy Hollow will win.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

PreviousNext

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube