The Watching Thread #3

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Re: The Watching Thread #3

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Yeah, I had mixed feelings about the previews. But I might give it a try.

This morning, we watched a couple of old Avengers episodes that I had DVR'd. They were early black-and-white Emma Peel episodes, but they were already getting pretty surreal. One was about a scientist developing a man-eating plant that would grow to five hundred times the size of the Empire State Building. He was doing so at the command of what was apparently an intelligent plant that came from outer space (Mrs Peel informed Steed that it could be from either Mars or the Moon-- recently large swaths of vegetation had been photographed on each :wtf: ). This plant had powers of mind control, but plugging a hearing aid into your ear provided protection. Toward the end, Mrs Peel lost her hearing aid, fell under the control of the plant, and there was an epic Steed versus Emma Peel battle. But they prevailed with their secret weapon-- an elderly woman with a jug of herbicide. What a great show. :lol:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Lupine wrote:Caught the first two parts of Emerald City last night. It was interesting and very stylish, though reminiscent to the extreme of Game of Thrones. Looks like it was filmed in Spain and used Gaudi structures in Barcelona for sets. Nice. However the characters weren't very engaging and the plot threw in a truck load of mysteries which kind of overwhelmed the storyline. If it comes down to a choice between Sleepy Hollow and this, Sleepy Hollow will win.

I didn't think it would be possible to have a matching amount of gratuitous nudity and sex in a series. :lol:
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Gary » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:34 pm

I watched a Norwegian disaster movie titled The Wave. It was reminiscent of Jaws -- the main character believes something terrible is coming and the town should be prepared to evacuate; however, it's tourist season and the town depends on the income generated. Overall, it's a good story with a factual basis.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:17 pm

If Emerald City had gratuitous nudity, I'd be much more eager to watch it. :lol: Sadly, it's on a network. :warn:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Sully. Great movie. Clint Eastwood really knows how to present a story.

Also, I recently got on a kick to listen to some of The Carpenters' songs and found this worthwhile documentary: The Carpenters' Story: Only Yesterday. My mother had the radio tuned to a station that only played "easy listening" music when I was but a wee young boy, so I was exposed to some mild stuff early in my life. I remember there was a biography on The Carpenters back in 1989 or so (we watched in when I was in the Navy) but didn't remember Richard having battled drug addiction. Such a shame her beautiful voice was silenced just a month shy of her 33rd birthday. Richard is known as *the person* who can create the best musical arrangements, and has been doing so ever since he and Karen started out.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Gary » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:29 am

Bad Words is pretty decent for killing time. I think Jason Bateman is a bit underrated, and it's a shame his star didn't really take off in Hollywood.

I opted to rewatch John Wick last night as the sequel is coming out this year. Great movie for anyone who likes action where a man is seeking righteous revenge.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Cayla » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:38 am

I watched the series finale of Salem, last night. I was a bit disappointed that the ending wasn't as good as the show. It seemed a bit rushed.
Cayla
Senator
Senator

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:52 pm

I have yet to manage a single episode of Salem, and now it's over.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Yesterday, I watched the 1980 version of The Elephant Man. It's a shame the story didn't stay true to history.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Gary » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Last night was Free State of Jones. A great history piece that touches on how Federal Forces were removed from the Southern States (IMHO) too quickly during ante-bellum Reconstruction.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Oh, yes, definitely too quickly. That was a bad decision that had repercussions to the present day.

Did anybody check out the first episode of Powerless?

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:10 pm

I saw commercials for it but I guess I missed it. Lately other than the usual fare I've been watching Victoria on PBS (Jenna Colman of Doctor Who plays Victoria) and a documentary about the six wives of Henry VIII.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Powerless was low-key, but amusing. It has the potential to be the Get Smart of the superhero world. But I was actually more interested in the silly superhero stuff going on in the background. That's the show I really want to see. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:44 am

The Girl on the Train via Netflix DVD. I didn't see the twist until the minute it was revealed; however, I did have some suspicions. Really good movie, and Emily Blunt is fantastic.

The Girl on the Train is the story of Rachel Watson's life post-divorce. Every day, she takes the train in to work in New York, and every day the train passes by her old house. The house she lived in with her husband, who still lives there, with his new wife and child. As she attempts to not focus on her pain, she starts watching a couple who live a few houses down -- Megan and Scott Hipwell. She creates a wonderful dream life for them in her head, about how they are a perfect happy family. And then one day, as the train passes, she sees something shocking, filling her with rage. The next day, she wakes up with a horrible hangover, various wounds and bruises, and no memory of the night before. She has only a feeling: something bad happened. Then come the TV reports: Megan Hipwell is missing. Rachel becomes invested in the case and trying to find out what happened to Megan, where she is, and what exactly she herself was up to that same night Megan went missing.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Gary » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Last night I watched London has Fallen and re-watched Iron Man 3.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:13 pm

The Girl On The Train sounds very Hitchcockian.

I've been watching my DVD collection of Lovecraft Mythos independent short films. They're pretty good. I've also been watching Powerless, which is pretty funny. It will be cancelled, of course, because the current audience will not support offbeat comedies.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:01 am

So I'm just catching up with some old mail, and I find one from TCM Backlot (which I joined a while back when it first started). They're having a contest to become a Guest Programmer. They fly you down to Atlanta and you get to work with Ben Mankiewicz (and, with any luck, Tiffany Vasquez). The problem is that you have to create a screen test video and submit it-- and the deadline is Tuesday. Too bad I'm such an email procrastinator, because my Mother's living room would be the perfect place to film it. I'll see what I can come up with and submit it if it's any good.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:05 pm

^Good luck! :yes:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:23 pm

Thanks. It'll never happen, but it's too cool to pass up. I recorded a little intro to Forbidden Planet this morning and I'll probably upload it tonight after a little editing. Even though I waited for maximum natural light coming down the hallway, it still came out kind of dark. But that's as good as it's going to get.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:31 pm

^I'd like to see that.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:48 pm

I'll upload it to YouTube later and post it. It appeared on the Backlot site today. For some reason the volume is about half of what it should be. I was actually impressed with the quality of the sound on my computer, so I don't know what happened to it. So basically the lighting is bad and the sound is bad-- other than that, it's great. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:37 pm

Okay, don't say I didn't warn you:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

:tv:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:14 am

^That's actually pretty awesome. :yes:

Certainly as good as Ben Mankiewics usually is.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:03 pm

Lupine wrote:^That's actually pretty awesome. :yes:

Thank you. :cooldude: :lol:

Do you hate Ben Maniewicz? :lol:

So it looks like there are a total of sixty-six entries. Some are not so good, but some are very good. I think the only thing that distinguishes me from the ones I watched was that I expressed a point of view, whereas the others did the usual thing of reciting some fun facts about the movie. I may also be the only one who forgot to say my own name. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:20 pm

^Only 66 entries? Puts the odds further in your favor.

RJDiogenes wrote:

Do you hate Ben Maniewicz? :lol:

He did mistakenly state that War of the Worlds was a black & white film. :mellow:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

PreviousNext

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube