The Watching Thread #3

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Re: The Watching Thread #3

Postby Gary » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 am

Tonight's fare was Doctor Strange (Marvel's B team). Not bad and, as usual, had some comical moments woven into the story. I think Steven Strange should have had a British accent rather than an American.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:56 pm

^^ The character is American. Not that movies are ever faithful to their source material. But Doctor Strange was always one of my favorite Marvel characters, so I might give it a watch on On Demand. Or it's possible somebody will give it to me for my birthday.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:34 pm

The Edge of Seventeen. Really funny, and Hailee Steinfeld gets better and better with each movie I see her (I first saw her in the remake of True Grit).
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:16 pm

I saw an episode of Laugh-In last night with Sammy Davis Jr. Both Arte Johnson and Henry Gibson were shorter than he was. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:48 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:I saw an episode of Laugh-In last night with Sammy Davis Jr. Both Arte Johnson and Henry Gibson were shorter than he was. :lol:

I think Netflix had Laugh-In for a while, although it was only a few episodes on DVD. I remember watching it as a very young child, back when it originally aired. Loved Artie Johnson's dirty old man shtick.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:28 pm

I had been watching ABC's Time After Time but it's been cancelled. It wasn't great, but it was watchable.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:01 pm

^^ That's too bad. I expected that one to be successful.

Gary wrote:I think Netflix had Laugh-In for a while, although it was only a few episodes on DVD. I remember watching it as a very young child, back when it originally aired. Loved Artie Johnson's dirty old man shtick.

Yeah, not much has been released on DVD and I have them all. I think I can attribute my love of Vaudeville and Burlesque to watching Laugh-In as a child-- it's definitely the same thing.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby jgc » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Finally got to see The Force Awakens this week. All I can say is, if you're watching for the entertainment value, like me, then it was a good movie.

Kylo Ren really knew how to throw a temper tantrum.

I thought it was sad that they weren't able to retrieve Han Solo's body from the planet before they left.

And how was Rae able to best Ren in that light sabre fight with absolutely no training? :conf:

So, Han is dead; they showed about three seconds of Leia looking sad, and never mentioned him. What is it with movies that, once a character is dead, they never mention that person again. Like it doesn't matter.

But, I am looking forward to seeing Luke in the new movie.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
jgc
Senator
Senator

Postby Lupine » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:13 pm

jgc wrote:And how was Rae able to best Ren in that light sabre fight with absolutely no training? :conf:

There has been some testy debates on whether she's a Mary Sue or not.

jgc wrote:So, Han is dead; they showed about three seconds of Leia looking sad, and never mentioned him. What is it with movies that, once a character is dead, they never mention that person again. Like it doesn't matter.

Not sure, but it's possible the writer's simply don't want to bog the narrative down.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:31 pm

I saw it a while ago, but I think it happened pretty close to the end of the movie. I have a feeling his death will be a major driver of the plot in the next episode. At least I hope so, since he was my favorite character.

Now I'm waiting for Rogue One to show up on a free channel.

Other than that, I've been watching the new season of Samurai Jack and the first (and probably only) season of Powerless.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:36 pm

jgc wrote:Finally got to see The Force Awakens this week. All I can say is, if you're watching for the entertainment value, like me, then it was a good movie.

Kylo Ren really knew how to throw a temper tantrum.

I thought it was sad that they weren't able to retrieve Han Solo's body from the planet before they left.

And how was Rae able to best Ren in that light sabre fight with absolutely no training? :conf:

So, Han is dead; they showed about three seconds of Leia looking sad, and never mentioned him. What is it with movies that, once a character is dead, they never mention that person again. Like it doesn't matter.

But, I am looking forward to seeing Luke in the new movie.

There are a lot of theories about Rey and also Fin, because Fin was able to wield a light saber effectively. I recommend anyone with an inkling of interest in the Star Wars universe watch Rogue One. No Jedi, but The Force features predominantly in the story. The characters are great, one of whom, K2SO, downright steals the show.

I'm still cruising through The West Wing. One recent episode revolved around the USS Carl Vinson having lost two pilots at sea with their having to swim to safety in North Korea. I am now up to Season Six. Love the show and, contrary to how Rush Limbaugh railed against it in the 90s, it is not touchy-feely Liberal clap-trap.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Gary » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:01 pm

I watched Gravity, last night, and gave it three stars. I didn't like Sandra Bullock's character, Ryan Stone, along with much of the inaccuracy of what would happen in a weightless environment.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Yeah, I saw the previews of Gravity and it seemed too mainstream for me.

I've been watching "Kinda," the second story in the Peter Davison Doctor Who run. I'm slowly collecting them. I also bought a DVD double-feature of Night Walker and Dark Intruder that I intended to watch over my proposed long weekend, but I have to work tomorrow after all. Maybe Tuesday or next weekend.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Mon May 01, 2017 10:41 pm

I am almost through Season 6 of The West Wing. I thought it was ridiculous for Congressman Santos to choose Leo as his running mate. The person "a heartbeat away" from the Presidency shouldn't be someone who is not in the greatest of health and suffered a heart attack (yes Mr. Cheney, that means you as well).

What shocks me is Alan Alda. I swear, from the late-90s onward, as he gets older, he looks very much like my father. The exception is Mr. Alda has quite a bit of warmth in his eyes.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue May 02, 2017 9:22 pm

I watched my double feature DVD today. Night Walker was notable for Barbara Stanwyck and Hayden Rorke, and for being a non-standard William Castle Production-- other than that, it was typical of the trippy psychological mind benders of the time. Actually, Dark Intruder was the more interesting of the two. It clocked in at 56 minutes, which was not uncommon for such a mystery movie back in the 30s or 40s, but kind of strange for the 60s. It starred Leslie Nielsen as an independent consultant who helps the cops with more arcane investigations-- his house comes complete with a hidden laboratory and a mysterious midget sidekick. I wonder if it was intended to be a series, because it would have made a good one. The plot was gruesome and interesting, and pretty clever.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue May 02, 2017 11:23 pm

This is interesting. There's a Wiki page for Dark Intruder with a lot of information. It was indeed intended to be a series, but a TV series rather than a movie series. It was actually a TV movie that was shown at drive-ins instead. What a shame, because it would have probably become a classic if it had gone to series.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun May 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Last night's fare was Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It was OK.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun May 07, 2017 9:08 pm

^^ Just okay? I was kind of looking forward to it, if only for the time period.

Yesterday I saw a fantastic movie that I somehow have managed to never see before. Mystery Street, a film noir from 1950, starring a very young (and suave) Ricardo Montalban. It was not only set in Boston, but actually filmed on location here and down the Cape, and it really made the most of it, both in terms of the cinematography and the story. Lots of name dropping, from Harvard Square and Roxbury to Hyannis and Barnstable. They even got the driving times right. And many locations in the city were very recognizable (I was inordinately delighted to see that Ricardo Montalban had walked the very same places in Harvard Square sixty-seven years ago that I have been many times). In one scene, there was a great shot of the Bunker Hill Monument in the background. Lots of activity at Harvard Medical School, and they talked a lot about Boston Lying-In Hospital, a historic maternity hospital that is now part of Brigham & Women's. Aside from all that, it was very well written, and very contemporary in that it was a hardcore forensic procedural, a precursor to shows like Bones. If you like old black-and-white mystery movies, this is a must-see. Elsa Lanchester also has a big role in it.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Tue May 09, 2017 12:12 am

RJDiogenes wrote:^^ Just okay? I was kind of looking forward to it, if only for the time period.

It was interesting considering it takes place in the 20s/30s. Other than that, a lot of reliance on CGI for superfluous creatures.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue May 09, 2017 10:07 pm

That's too bad. I'll probably watch it anyway, because I love that time period.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun May 14, 2017 5:12 pm

I finished The West Wing a few days ago. I didn't like President Bartlett leaving the letter to incoming President Santos atop the desk in the Oval Office. IIRC, Presidents traditionally leave the letter in the upper right drawer.

Overall, I thought it was an excellent series that was very well done. I appreciated how some of the people who portrayed lower-level staffers were always called out for their constant painting of all Republicans with a broad brush. Politics should not be defined by one's party, but rather by how one acts and whether he/she is open to compromise.

I have now moved on to the Netflix series Iron Fist. I am six episodes in and am enjoying it. IMHO, nothing Netflix can do can top DareDevil. That one came out of the gate at full speed and has the best fight scenes out of any movie or television series.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun May 14, 2017 9:40 pm

I started to watch American Gods on Starz, but I'm not really getting into it. Everybody looks like they smell bad and need a shower.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Wed May 17, 2017 11:47 pm

I burned through all 13 episodes of Iron Fist. It was OK, although I would have expected Danny to have better Kung Fu abilities than he demonstrated even though he cut his training short to return to New York. Overall, not a bad series.

A co-worker suggested The Santa Clarita Diet due to the offbeat atmosphere. I was skeptical but am so far loving it. Timothy Olyphant typically plays straight laced, no nonsense characters. In this series, he's a bit neurotic and unstable. He and Drew Barrymore are hilarious.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby Lupine » Fri May 26, 2017 5:28 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Okay, don't say I didn't warn you:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

:tv:

While watching TCM's B-movie lineup last night, I saw an add showing the winner of that contest.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Lupine wrote:While watching TCM's B-movie lineup last night, I saw an add showing the winner of that contest.

Oh, I hope I didn't miss it. I've been too distracted to pay attention to TV this week. I'll check the Backlot site.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

PreviousNext

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube