The Watching Thread #3

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Re: The Watching Thread #3

Postby Gary » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:53 pm

I'm up to Season 10 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Talk about a whacked-out show.

I found an online site with Series 2 of Green Wing, which I will watch soon. The hunt continues for a site with Series 3.

Other than that, I watched Logan, the other night. It was a good swan song for both Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 pm

The CW, of all places, has a show called Hooten and the Lady, which is an Indiana-Jones style adventure show, but in a contemporary setting. It's an import, from England or Canada, I forget. I'm trying to find time to watch it.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:55 am

I strongly recommend people watch Hacksaw Ridge, the story of Desmond Doss at the Battle of Okinawa. I watched a documentary about him a few years back, and he was truly an amazing person.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:50 pm

The first episode of Hooten and the Lady was entertaining, though a pretty standard string of movie-serial cliches. There was a bit of nudity, but the CW blurred it out.

My Sister has recommended the anthology series Black Mirror, which is on Netflix, so I'm going to try to give it a look.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:02 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:The first episode of Hooten and the Lady was entertaining, though a pretty standard string of movie-serial cliches. There was a bit of nudity, but the CW blurred it out.

My Sister has recommended the anthology series Black Mirror, which is on Netflix, so I'm going to try to give it a look.

A co-worker has recommended Black Mirror and warned me it can get a bit disturbing.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Interesting. Now I am really intrigued.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:24 am

I have been watching Star Trek: Deep Space 9 via Netflix streaming, starting from S1E1. I can honestly say few of the effects look dated; otherwise, the show has held up well these past 20 years.

This is the last season of Orphan Black. I think I watched three or five episodes but don't know if I'll bother finishing the series. It lost me long ago and feels like an absolute lost cause, which is a shame considering the first season was so strong.

I've been keeping current with Game of Thrones as well. Since HBO decided not to wait for George R.R. Martin to finish his books, it appears that the story has definitely picked up pace and is not a slog to get through.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:41 pm

I've been slowly catching up with Hooten and the Lady. It feels a little odd sometimes, because it's so retro, but takes place in modern times-- so everyone has cell phones and so on. But it's a really nice, straightforward, non-serialized adventure show. The cinematography is wonderful and there's a lot of location shooting around the word. I'm not surprised it wasn't renewed, because it's hard to imagine how such a show could be profitable.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:33 pm

The Homesman.

Three women who have been driven mad by pioneer life are to be transported across the country by covered wagon by the pious, independent-minded Mary Bee Cuddy, who in turn employs low-life drifter George Briggs to assist her.

Great drama with some humorous moments.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:01 pm

^^ That's quite an odd concept.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:32 am

It took me three days to get through Marvel's The Defenders on Netflix. Not bad, and Sigourney Weaver played the villain quite well.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 pm

The original Mission: Impossible is available on Amazon free for Prime members. I watched an episode from season one with Eartha Kitt.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:16 pm

^I have that season on DVD. The Eartha Kitt one is pretty good.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Gary » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Trance.

An art auctioneer who has become mixed up with a group of criminals partners with a hypnotherapist in order to recover a lost painting.

This movie had a twist I did not see coming. It really hurts the brain as it is unraveling.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:59 pm

That sounds interesting. And Rosario Dawson is in it.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Sat through an episode of the new Gong Show last night because we knew one of the contestants. I can't imagine how this thing stays on the air. :wtf:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Well, when we were teenagers we found the awfulness of The Gong Show fascinating. :lol: How did your friend do?

This Sunday night is the premiere of The Orville. I'm not sure if anybody else is planning on giving it a try, but it seems so Trek-like (moreso than Discovery) that I can't resist, so I'll start a thread.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:31 pm

^I'll probably give it a try, though I'm not sure how long it will last.

RJDiogenes wrote:Well, when we were teenagers we found the awfulness of The Gong Show fascinating. :lol: How did your friend do?

He actually scored pretty well with the judges. He balanced on a ball while playing something that looked like a kazoo with his mouth and two flutes with his nose (one in each nostril)- which actually makes sense if you ever met him. :lol:

The guy at the ren faire back in 92 with my mother.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Gary » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Well, when we were teenagers we found the awfulness of The Gong Show fascinating. :lol: How did your friend do?

This Sunday night is the premiere of The Orville. I'm not sure if anybody else is planning on giving it a try, but it seems so Trek-like (moreso than Discovery) that I can't resist, so I'll start a thread.

Oooh. I'll have to see what time it's scheduled so I can watch. I am interested in watching.

Meanwhile, Star Trek: Discovery to tackle Trump-era political divide. I think Discovery is going to be part of a Star Trek anthology rather than a continuing, stand-alone series.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:42 pm

^^ I hope it's true that they will be tackling the political divide, as long as they do it right and outrage both sides. :lol:

I think you're right about the seasonal anthology, too, although I wonder if they might alternate other concepts with Discovery in the manner of Walking Dead and Fear The Walking Dead.

Lupine wrote:The guy at the ren faire back in 92 with my mother.

Cool. That's a fantastic picture. :yes:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:10 pm

A few nights ago, I watched The Hollywood Knights. Last time I watched it was in the 80s, at a friend's house. There are a lot of neat, clean, classic and custom vehicles. Other than that, I realized the editing and storyline were disjointed, meaning a majority of what took place couldn't have happened in the amount of time that passed in the movie. But, it's a silly, fun movie.

I'm up to Season Six of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and am happy to say everything in it still holds up great.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:25 pm

I remember seeing that in theaters when it came out-- I don't remember the movie, but I remember that we saw it. I seem to remember that it had something to do with a drive-in theater and that I liked it.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:57 pm

I watched Wonder Woman last night and was very impressed. Some of the CGI was weak, but overall this story was much better than either The Man of Steel or Batman v Superman. I still don't have very high expectations for Justice League, but am definitely looking forward to the WW sequel.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:39 pm

I'll watch that one at some point. I appreciate that it's a period piece (even if it's the wrong war). I'm still a little behind on my Blockbuster-class movie viewing. I haven't seen Rogue One yet. And it seems like there's something else I'm supposed to watch, but I can't remember.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Jim Gamma » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Over the last month or so I've made my way through 9.5 seasons of The Big Bang Theory. (It's actually quite easy as there are 24 max eps per season, each is 20 minutes, so 8 hours for a whole season - takes me maybe three days per season.)

Storylines aren't as interesting as they were at the start but it's still good. Going to finish off S10 tomorrow, then wait for S11 to be on Amazon UK.
Jim Gamma
Centurion
Centurion

PreviousNext

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube