The Almost Check-In Thread #83

Even wilder and wackier than pre-crash Miscellaneous, the survivors talk about the weather, puppies, work, and coffee.

Moderators: blablover5, Cayla

Re: The Almost Check-In Thread #83

Postby scottydog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Happy Friday, all :hello:

Same summer routine today. I hope to get some editing done, plus I'll hang out with a friend. Maybe I'll see a movie tonight.

I hope Maddy sees her butterfly and RJ enjoys his Mermaid. :lol:
scottydog
Patrician
Patrician

Postby Cayla » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Good morning!

It's been a few days, so forgive me if I forget something...

jgc, I am very disappointed in you. I have been to Dunkin Donuts at least once per week, since that trip. Of course, it helps that I have a coworker, who insists we go there on our lunch hour. :D

RJ, in regards to you light in the middle of the night...I once saw a movie, years ago, where a woman was woken up at 2am by the sounds of construction, and seeing lights outside of her house. She got up to the window to see, and there were men doing road construction. Then one of the men turned to look at her in the window, and it was really an alien. She was then abducted, and I do not remember the rest of the movie.

Maddy, you have had a emotional trauma in your life, whether you want to admit it or not. Greif comes and goes in odd forms, but we all get through it. The menopause doesn't help, either. I went through a similar thing in February. What helped, was I found a new place to explore, on my own. I tend to have to take a day to sort out my thoughts, so I may get back to my old self. In your case, you may need to plan a gathering with your friends for a day. Maybe entertain them at your home.

huggle, I want that sign! I wish we had lizards or geckos here.

The wedding was wonderful! I have plenty of pictures on my FB wall. Yesterday, mom, T, and my mother-in-law, went to the Hartville Flea Market, to shop and have lunch. In the evening, my mom, husband, and I sat out by the fire. Today, will be a day of canning tomatoes, and mild pepper rings, making breadcrumbs, and some light cleaning. We decided to hang out at home today, before going to the funeral tomorrow.
Cayla
Senator
Senator

Postby Lupine » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Another day. :yawn:

One of the dogs has a vet appointment today.

Cayla wrote:jgc, I am very disappointed in you. I have been to Dunkin Donuts at least once per week, since that trip. Of course, it helps that I have a coworker, who insists we go there on our lunch hour. :D

I've never been to a Dunkin Donuts. :D

Cayla wrote:RJ, in regards to you light in the middle of the night...I once saw a movie, years ago, where a woman was woken up at 2am by the sounds of construction, and seeing lights outside of her house. She got up to the window to see, and there were men doing road construction. Then one of the men turned to look at her in the window, and it was really an alien. She was then abducted, and I do not remember the rest of the movie.

It was called Intruders.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby scottydog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Lupine wrote:I've never been to a Dunkin Donuts. :D

Shirley you jest! :eek: :eek: :eek:
scottydog
Patrician
Patrician

Postby Lupine » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:20 pm

scottydog wrote:

Shirley you jest! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't and don't call me Shirley.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby jgc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Lupine wrote:
Cayla wrote:jgc, I am very disappointed in you. I have been to Dunkin Donuts at least once per week, since that trip. Of course, it helps that I have a coworker, who insists we go there on our lunch hour. :D

I've never been to a Dunkin Donuts. :D

Lupy, I feel very, very sorry for you as something is missing from your life. :no: Back in New Hampshire, I used to go to Dunkins almost every day. When I was working I did go every day! It helped that there was a Dunkins about a mile from my house.

Just a usual day here.
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
jgc
Senator
Senator

Postby Gary » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:35 pm

huggle wrote:
Congrats, Gary! What will you cook for the reopening celebration? (I had a crispily fried brook trout with rosemary and potato gratin when I got my new stove, 5 years ago :yum: )

I have no idea. I've been eating various foods that don't require cooking, so I'll probably come up with an idea this weekend.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:19 am

Good evening, everyone. :hello:

I am home and ready for bed. The Little Mermaid was great. :fish:

scottydog wrote:I hope Maddy sees her butterfly and RJ enjoys his Mermaid. :lol:

Gotta love Mermaids. :D

Cayla wrote:RJ, in regards to you light in the middle of the night...I once saw a movie, years ago, where a woman was woken up at 2am by the sounds of construction, and seeing lights outside of her house. She got up to the window to see, and there were men doing road construction. Then one of the men turned to look at her in the window, and it was really an alien. She was then abducted, and I do not remember the rest of the movie.

Are you sure it was a movie? There was that time you were gone for a few days. :unsure:

Lupine wrote:It was called Intruders.

Oh. Whew.

Lupine wrote:I don't and don't call me Shirley.

:drummer:

jgc wrote:Lupy, I feel very, very sorry for you as something is missing from your life. :no: Back in New Hampshire, I used to go to Dunkins almost every day.

Just tonight I had a Chai Tea from Dunkin. :yes:

When I was working I did go every day! It helped that there was a Dunkins about a mile from my house.

Around here, I don't think you can go a mile without seeing one. :lol:

:tea:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Madeliaette » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 am

could barely take my eyes off her
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Postby jgc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:48 am

RJDiogenes wrote:
When I was working I did go every day! It helped that there was a Dunkins about a mile from my house.

Back home, there were at least six DD in my small city. Down here, I have to drive at least 5 miles to get to the closest one. :(
Imagine by John Lennon

jgc
Senator
Senator

Postby huggle » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 am

Lupine wrote:One of the dogs has a vet appointment today.

nothing serious, I hope!

Me neither. There aren't any in Germany, as far as I know, and when I was in LA I somehow never got aorund to go to one as I had a very good donut bakery next door.
Cayla wrote:huggle, I want that sign! I wish we had lizards or geckos here.

I think it's custom made since I've never before seen one. The pic is rater bad as I took it with my cell phone, but next time I get there (in about a month), I'll bring my camera and make a high resolution one for you :)
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
huggle
Censor
Censor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:32 am

Good morning, everybody. :hello:

I'm off to breakfast with Mom and Chloe.

Madeliaette wrote:could barely take my eyes off her

:)

jgc wrote:Back home, there were at least six DD in my small city. Down here, I have to drive at least 5 miles to get to the closest one. :(

There's three near me on Hancock Street alone. Maybe I can send you a couple.

huggle wrote:Me neither. There aren't any in Germany, as far as I know

Clearly a trade deficit. :(

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Cayla » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:26 am

Thank you huggle.

There is a DD a mile from my house, another in walking distance to my office, and another down the hill from the dog park. They have it covered for me. :D

My sister is addicted to Starbucks, but I think it tastes like burnt coffee. :bleh:

Yesterday, mom and I stayed home. I made 1 jar of diced tomatoes, and pickled 2 jars of sweet banana peppers. I also made and froze pesto sauce. Mom helped me clean. We then spent the afternoon sitting on the patio with my dogs. My tenant eventually joined us until dinner time.

Today is the funeral for my aunt and her husband. He died 15 years ago. His ashes were stored in my aunt's dresser drawer. This funeral is by invitation only. Half of the family has not been invited, including my siblings and husband. :rolleyes:
Cayla
Senator
Senator

Postby scottydog » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:35 am

Happy Saturday, all. :hello:

Today The Wife and I have a dance lesson at our local dance studio. We'll probably learn a new waltz move and perhaps also a new west coast swing move.

We have Dunkin Donuts all over Richmond. Lupy, it's the first place I'll take you when you come visit me some day :yes:

Now it's time for me to have coffee and worry about RJ's lack of sleep last night.
scottydog
Patrician
Patrician

Postby huggle » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:57 am

yep, it's pickling time :) I spent an hour this morning slicing runner beans and shall pickle them now.
I need a break to un-knot my brain. There seems to be some hidden re-routing command in the board and I can't find it. Whenever I log on to the new board I get rerouted to here. Most annoying! Maybe I find the prob once I slept over it.
huggle
Censor
Censor

Postby Lupine » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Good morning, all. :coffee:

Will probably pop back up to the Ren Faire. There's a slight chance for rain up there, which would be interesting.

jgc wrote:
RJDiogenes wrote:

Back home, there were at least six DD in my small city. Down here, I have to drive at least 5 miles to get to the closest one. :(

I'm not sure where the nearest one to me is. :unsure: There's none here in town, but then again we only have two chain-stores (Napa and Dollar General). In the nest town over there's a Starbucks every 12 feet or so.

huggle wrote:
Lupine wrote:One of the dogs has a vet appointment today.

nothing serious, I hope!

Just a vaccination and a nail trim.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Good afternoon, everyone. :hello:

There's a bunch of new earth-moving equipment on that weird construction site on the way to my Mother's house. I didn't have a chance to stop for pictures, so hopefully they'll still be there next week.

Cayla wrote:Today is the funeral for my aunt and her husband. He died 15 years ago. His ashes were stored in my aunt's dresser drawer. This funeral is by invitation only. Half of the family has not been invited, including my siblings and husband. :rolleyes:

I wonder what the qualifications were.

scottydog wrote:Now it's time for me to have coffee and worry about RJ's lack of sleep last night.

That's typical of a theater night. I'll make up for it tonight and tomorrow, believe me. :lol:

huggle wrote:I need a break to un-knot my brain. There seems to be some hidden re-routing command in the board and I can't find it. Whenever I log on to the new board I get rerouted to here. Most annoying! Maybe I find the prob once I slept over it.

That's giving me deja vu. Did that happen before, or am I thinking of another forum? Or something?

Lupine wrote:Will probably pop back up to the Ren Faire. There's a slight chance for rain up there, which would be interesting.

Have a good time. :yes:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Madeliaette » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:47 pm

sometimes many people care, many people understand little bits - but only ONE PERSON knows it all....
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Postby jgc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Howdy. :hello:

The DVD gnome has been active again! :yes: Season six of The Walking Dead. :thumbsup:

My sister is addicted to Starbucks, but I think it tastes like burnt coffee. :bleh:

I couldn't agree with you more, Cayla! I went to a conference once where all the hotel served was Starbuck's. :as: On the way home, we stopped at a DD. Thank goodness.

Last night, I got to watch a lightening storm out my window. It was beautiful and not close by as there was not thunder to go along with it.

Hope everyone is having a good day! :thumbsup:
Imagine by John Lennon

jgc
Senator
Senator

Postby scottydog » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Madeliaette wrote:sometimes many people care, many people understand little bits - but only ONE PERSON knows it all....

I am worried about you, Maddy. I hope you're okay and I'm glad you have your butterfly to see you through any situation :yes:
scottydog
Patrician
Patrician

Postby huggle » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:14 am

I wish I knew all about the board software and its bugs *sigh*
RJDiogenes wrote:That's giving me deja vu. Did that happen before, or am I thinking of another forum? Or something

I'm not sure myself. I've lost count of how many renext substitute boards I have set up and deleted since October. I do recall one version refused to log me in and kept bouncing me back to the login window.

With the current substitute board the reroute is automatic. If you log on and quickly klick "forum index" before the board's automatic kicks in, it works nicely. Trouble is: I am not sure if everyone can klick fast enough.
I requested help at a phpBB support forum but got no reply yet. Still, in the worst case we can use the buggy board. I'll keep it until I have a version that works better.

Couldn't sleep and had an idea for another try. That's why I am online at 4 am :D Or 5 am rather, by now. Another 30 mins till the upload is finished and I can start on my new scheme. (copy the board, force an installation as if it were a completely new board so that all paths in the software will be corrected, overwrite the database with a backup and manually change all paths in the database to the new address, then recreate the template from scratch as the current one has its files spread all over the place.) If that doesn't work, I'm tempted to admit (temporary) defeat.
huggle
Censor
Censor

Postby Madeliaette » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:18 am

there is no need to worry scottydog.
nothing worth mentioning lies ahead in todays plans
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Postby Orpheus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:31 am

Lupine wrote:

It was called Intruders.

Did you know that Mare Winningham (of "intruders" and ~100 other roles) not only graduated high school co-valedictorian with Kevin Spacey, but they co-starred in the school production of "The Sound of Music" as Maria and Capt Trapp?

I'll go climb back under the Rock of Unwanted Knowledge now.
Orpheus
Lictor
Lictor

Postby Orpheus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:36 am

huggle wrote:I wish I knew all about the board software and its bugs *sigh*
RJDiogenes wrote:That's giving me deja vu. Did that happen before, or am I thinking of another forum? Or something

I'm not sure myself. I've lost count of how many renext substitute boards I have set up and deleted since October. I do recall one version refused to log me in and kept bouncing me back to the login window.

With the current substitute board the reroute is automatic. If you log on and quickly klick "forum index" before the board's automatic kicks in, it works nicely. Trouble is: I am not sure if everyone can klick fast enough.
I requested help at a phpBB support forum but got no reply yet. Still, in the worst case we can use the buggy board. I'll keep it until I have a version that works better.

Couldn't sleep and had an idea for another try. That's why I am online at 4 am :D Or 5 am rather, by now. Another 30 mins till the upload is finished and I can start on my new scheme. (copy the board, force an installation as if it were a completely new board so that all paths in the software will be corrected, overwrite the database with a backup and manually change all paths in the database to the new address, then recreate the template from scratch as the current one has its files spread all over the place.) If that doesn't work, I'm tempted to admit (temporary) defeat.

Wait. If it's the issue I'm thinking of, I quietly fixed it (unannounced -- a sort of Taster's Choice test) before the server move. I can revert/alter that change, if it's recurring in the new setting.

What, exactly, is the current redirect issue?
Orpheus
Lictor
Lictor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:45 am

Good morning, everyone. :hello:

I'll head down to the beach for a walk at sunrise, and then I'll probably fall back asleep while reading my GoComics. :yawn: :lol:

Madeliaette wrote:sometimes many people care, many people understand little bits - but only ONE PERSON knows it all....

That's true. :yes:

jgc wrote:The DVD gnome has been active again! :yes: Season six of The Walking Dead. :thumbsup:

How do I get on the DVD Gnome's mailing list? :contract:

huggle wrote:I wish I knew all about the board software and its bugs *sigh*

:(

And then when we moved, there would probably be a 404.

I feel terrible that it's so much trouble. But take your time and don't stress out. Renie is letting me subsidize her expenses now, so my guilty conscience has been eased. :lol:

Orpheus wrote:I'll go climb back under the Rock of Unwanted Knowledge now.

Around here that's more like climbing to the top of the Mountain of Obscure Knowledge. Do you have a long white beard? :oldman:

Orpheus wrote:What, exactly, is the current redirect issue?

Thank you for helping. :yes:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous