Science Tidbits #4

From Astronomy to Zoology, from Bathyspheres to O'Neill Colonies, the wonders of discovery and invention are on topic here.

Moderator: RJDiogenes

Re: Science Tidbits #4

Postby huggle » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm sure a sulution could be arranged. A door left open, accidentially...
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
huggle
Censor
Censor

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:10 pm

^^ One last tweet and then it's over....

Well, this is quite an interesting announcement. It will be an amazing event if they can make it happen.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Ironically the news was talking about that the moment I clicked on this thread. It will be cool if they could pull it off.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 pm

It will be pretty amazing. I imagine it would probably take about a week or so to get there and back. I wonder if anyone will be piggybacking any little science missions on board.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Orpheus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:45 am

I'd have to back out of the "not a moon" criterion.

No, I didn't put on a lot of holiday weight this past year. I just mean that like the IAU, I'm not willing to risk ruling out double-planets (co-orbiting pairs)

Indeed, now that I've said that, I doubt RJD would want to rule them out either. They strike me as something that would suit his romantic soul.

We're just blessed 1/6 Earth-radius "little sister" that we take for granted as a moon, but is clearly a sibling compared to every other combo in our system.

Heck, if some theories of lunagenesis are correct, we're more like the "Big Sister" who go knocked up, and had the kid adopted/raised by her parents.
Orpheus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gary » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Looks pretty scientific to me, meaning how the environment was preserved and the wreck salvaged.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:44 pm

^^ That's quite an amazing operation. It's nice to see environmental preservation and recycling on such a scale.

Orpheus wrote:Indeed, now that I've said that, I doubt RJD would want to rule them out either. They strike me as something that would suit his romantic soul.

Haha. You're so right. :lol: But a moon versus double-planet is easily defined as well, simply by calculating where the center of gravity of the two bodies is. If it's inside one of the bodies, that's the primary-- if it's somewhere in the space between, it's a double-planet system.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:48 pm

And as if they were reading our minds, the subject if Pluto's planet-hood comes up again.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:07 am

Hah. Good. Keep the dream alive. :D

It's interesting that he brings up the fact that more scientists signed the petition than voted in the IAU. Pluto won the popular vote! B)

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Orpheus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:36 am

RJDiogenes wrote:^^ That's quite an amazing operation. It's nice to see environmental preservation and recycling on such a scale.

Orpheus wrote:Indeed, now that I've said that, I doubt RJD would want to rule them out either. They strike me as something that would suit his romantic soul.

Haha. You're so right. :lol: But a moon versus double-planet is easily defined as well, simply by calculating where the center of gravity of the two bodies is. If it's inside one of the bodies, that's the primary-- if it's somewhere in the space between, it's a double-planet system.

Don't go all mathy on me.

Besides, by that definition, Luna is still being born to her ultimate rank. The Earth-Moon epicenter/barycenter is inexorably rising out of Earth.

-- Orpheus "If I go to Luna now, would that make me a cradle-robber"?
Orpheus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Orpheus wrote:Don't go all mathy on me.

Math kills my brain cells quicker than liquor.

Besides, by that definition, Luna is still being born to her ultimate rank. The Earth-Moon epicenter/barycenter is inexorably rising out of Earth.

With my luck it will probably hit me on its way out. But that doesn't matter. The universe isn't static. Nebulae become stars, stars become pulsars, pulsars become magnetars, Andrzejewskis become Benatars, planets become rogue planets-- there's no reason why a moon can't become a sibling planet or even a lone planet if it gets free of its primary.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:15 pm

They're not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens! :lol: :alien2:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:34 pm

It's an expedition to investigate Tabby's Star. :thinking:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:34 pm

94-YEAR OLD LITHIUM-ION BATTERY INVENTOR UNVEILS NEW ULTRA-EFFICIENT GLASS BATTERY

John B. Goodenough, an emeritus professor at the Cockrell School of Engineering at the University of Texas, Austin, pioneered the lithium-ion battery technology that is now the industry standard, and now the 94-year-old is ready to push the envelope on battery innovation again. Goodenough along with senior research fellow Maria Helena Braga, lead a team of researchers who have developed a low-cost all-solid-state battery that is safer and more efficient than existing lithium-ion technology.

The new battery uses a sodium- or lithium-coated glass electrolyte that has three times the storage capacity of a lithium ion battery. It also charges in minutes instead of hours and operates in both frigid and hot weather (from -20 to 60 degrees centigrade). Early tests suggest the battery is capable of at least 1,200 charge-discharge cycles, significantly more charging cycles than a comparable lithium-ion battery. And best of all, the glass-based electrolyte will not form the dendrites that plague lithium-ion battery technology. The dendrites accumulate as part of the standard charging and recharging cycle and eventually cause a short circuit that often results in a smoldering or burning battery.

Goodenough believes this battery technology could be the breakthrough that brings the electric car into the mainstream. “Cost, safety, energy density, rates of charge and discharge and cycle life are critical for battery-driven cars to be more widely adopted. We believe our discovery solves many of the problems that are inherent in today’s batteries,” Goodenough said in a statement published by the University of Texas as Austin. This same battery technology could also be used to store energy in both solar and wind-power systems.

Goodenough and his team have succeeded in developing the glass-based anode, and are now working on the cathode portion of the battery technology. Currently, the team is troubleshooting the cathode issue with encouraging results in small-scale tests using jelly-roll cells. The goal is to produce large-scale cells eventually and then move the technology over to manufacturers who will develop it commercially.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:58 pm

This is great news, not just for electric cars, but for everyday life. With energy demands increasing all the time, we really need battery-powered houses that can accumulate a charge during the day from solar or wind power to supplement or replace commercial power.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby huggle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:20 pm

great! Just the thing for my camera and cell phone. They tend to decharge rapidly in our -25°C winters.
a hug a day keeps the psychiatrist away
huggle
Censor
Censor

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:35 pm

I decharge rapidly in Winter, too. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby scottydog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:40 pm

I love the idea of long-lasting batteries!

And speaking of aliens, look how aliens with advanced intelligence may be traveling the galaxy: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ali ... mg00000003
scottydog
Patrician
Patrician

Postby Lupine » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:08 pm

^Or the way we'll be traveling if things don't go well here.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:44 pm

I want to travel the cosmos on WFRB, Classic Rock. :radio:

This kind of reminds me of when Pulsars were first discovered and originally thought to be extraterrestrial transmissions. There are so many high-energy phenomena out there that a natural explanation is infinitely more likely. There are other reasons to be skeptical, too. For one thing, would a civilization with that level of technology be so imprecise to have that much leakage? And would every civilization using that level of technology have the same leakage? And for another thing, if that's just the leakage, wouldn't the primary beam be enough to destroy anything made of matter? I suspect that these will turn out to have an origin similar to GRBs, like colliding Black Holes or something.

Or maybe it's Radio Free Triangulum. :cooldude:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 pm

^Excellent point with the Pulsars.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Lupine » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:02 pm

Here's one that looks like a sci-fi movie in the making.
Now I want to go out and find paleo-burrows.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Wow, that's pretty ambitious for a sloth, giant or otherwise. I love how the diagram shows frequent "resting." :lol:

But it's quite fascinating that the tunnels are so extensive and complex and include various chambers of different sizes. They note that it's much more than is needed for simple shelter and protection-- but it kind of implies some level of intelligence.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby scottydog » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:06 am

WASHINGTON—In an announcement that could forever change the way scientists study stars, NASA researchers published a comprehensive study today theorizing that the sun may be capable of supporting fire-based lifeforms. “After extensive research, we have reason to believe that the sun may be habitable for fire-based life, including primitive single-flame microbes and more complex ember-like organisms capable of thriving under all manner of burning conditions,” lead investigator Dr. Steven T. Aukerman wrote, noting that the sun’s helium-rich surface of highly charged particles provides the perfect food source for fire-based lifeforms.

:eek:

April fools! :lol:
scottydog
Patrician
Patrician

Postby Lupine » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:09 pm

Mother nature already beat you to the punch. :lol: Solar life has been speculated on before and even became the subject of the sci-fi novel Sundiver by David Brin.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

PreviousNext

Return to Science and Technology