Clumsy URL tag functionality

Your opinion is important to us. Please continue to hold. Just kidding: Post your brainstorms here.

Moderator: Sean

Clumsy URL tag functionality

Postby mudshark » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:30 pm

...as implemented here in the button above the text box is kind of awkward, when compared to any other board I frequent.

Now, it could be that everyone else here is simply typing their tags manually and never uses the URL button at all and so never noticed. Here's the thing, though: most board software allows you to highlight a section of text, click the Link or URL button, paste in your URL, hit enter and you've got a working hyperlink.

This software, however, will allow you to highlight and apply open and close tags but, for some inexplicable reason, requires that you go back and insert the equal sign manually in the open URL tag before pasting in the URL to which you want the link to point:

Code: Select all
[url]text text texty text text text text texty text text [/url]

No equal ^ sign here!

Surely, there can't have been a good reason why doing it this more clumsy way would have been preferred? :wtf: Why not have the software at least insert the equal sign and park the cursor there, ready to paste in the desired URL? Or use a pop-up?

Most of the rest of the board's functionality is just fine, for my purposes, but this URL-button snag seems glaringly backward and out-of-place, when compared to the rest.

That's been a pet peeve of mine for a while, and I just had to go through this awkward exercise several times to make a post. I couldn't see another forum where this obviously belonged, so I've put it here. Feel free to move, if there's a more appropriate spot.

No, I didn't call anyone "Shirley". :p
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Clumsy URL tag functionality

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:37 pm

Yeah, it's a pain. It's the same at several sites I go to, and I'm not sure why. I think TrekBBS and Kellyz have been the only sites with those nice pop up data entry fields.

Maybe I can go to the phpBB site and track down some code that I can implement as custom BB tags.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:40 am

I just type my tags in. I find that it takes too much extra effort to use the tags here. THe only ones I use are bold, italic, inderline, and youtube.
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:06 am

I didn't find any useful code, and now that I think of it I don't know how it could work. The custom BBCode simply calls an embedded HTML function; we'd need a way to actually customize a button. Maybe there's a Mod for it, but only Renie can install it if I find one.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby mudshark » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:58 pm

Sean wrote:I just type my tags in. I find that it takes too much extra effort to use the tags here. THe only ones I use are bold, italic, inderline, and youtube.

I always used to type my tags everywhere. I think I must either be getting lazy in my old age or have gotten completely spoiled by vBulletin's niftitude.

Yes, that's a real word. I just invented it.

RJDiogenes wrote:I didn't find any useful code, and now that I think of it I don't know how it could work. The custom BBCode simply calls an embedded HTML function; we'd need a way to actually customize a button. Maybe there's a Mod for it, but only Renie can install it if I find one.

Oh, well - I'll probably live. I was just a bit cranky after going through the exercise several times in the course of making one post. Looking at other phpBB boards I visit, they all seem to work the same way, so I was probably just typing the code manually and never noticed.

It just seemed to me that, if you were going to code in a button to do something, it ought to make it less awkward than simply typing the tags out and not more so. Totally unreasonable of me to expect that, I realize, but there you go... :D
Methinks Ted Sturgeon was too kind.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
mudshark
Centurion
Centurion

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:38 pm

I agree. I much prefer the pop ups for images and links. I don't know why they didn't program it that way. There's obviously a way to customize the buttons, because the Font Color button carries an intermediate function; but the behavior of the buttons that are generated for custom BBCode simply pastes the code brackets into the text box. Hopefully, there's a Mod that allows customization of the buttons themselves....

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Return to Questions, Suggestions & Feedback