Updating Style

General announcements.

Moderator: Renie

Re: Updating Style

Postby Madeliaette » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:04 pm

i still dont 'get' the object of the quick reply - it doesnt take any less time to load than the regular repl,y yet comes up with less features... :conf:
other than the text written over the button for regular reply i cant find anything else 'funny' tho....
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Postby Lupine » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Not sure yet on the new smiley set up with only a few smilies per "page". All the smilies on one page is a little overwhelming, but it is a bit time consuming to wade through several pages looking for the right smiley.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Ah, I'm just seeing that for the first time. All those Smileys were overwhelming, so this will probably be good. After a while, we'll probably get to know which page certain Smileys are on, making it easier.

Madeliaette wrote:i still dont 'get' the object of the quick reply - it doesnt take any less time to load than the regular repl,y yet comes up with less features... :conf:

I guess it depends on how fast your system is. The fact that it appears without loading a new page does make it faster for me. :yes:
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:49 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:Ah, I'm just seeing that for the first time. All those Smileys were overwhelming, so this will probably be good. After a while, we'll probably get to know which page certain Smileys are on, making it easier.

It'd be neat if they could be categorized. A page for holiday smilies, naughty smilies, coffee, tea, ect...
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:09 pm

^^ That's a good thought. I wonder how it works....

The "View Active Topics" link doesn't seem to be working right. It just brings up two apparently random Threads; the "View New Posts" link is almost as useful, but it doesn't bring up recent Threads that I might want to look at again.

And, Elmo, did registration or security get updated? There hasn't been a single Bot since yesterday.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Renie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:12 pm

Madeliaette wrote:i still dont 'get' the object of the quick reply - it doesnt take any less time to load than the regular repl,y yet comes up with less features... :conf:
other than the text written over the button for regular reply i cant find anything else 'funny' tho....

Then don't use it. I've already used it a couple times, I like it.

Not everything is going to be fixed right away. I can see what you can see. I understand there are still a few bugs, but they're cosmetic and will be zapped when I have the time.

I've spent 12+ hours on the upgrade over the holidays. As someone that basically works two full-time jobs that's a lot of time, esp. considering I don't get paid to do this, and in fact pay $20/mo to support this community.

So please, if you have issues don't start in on the 'point' of this or that feature. It's really disrespectful. If it's not a bug, just don't use it, please. Seeing complaints like these is extraordinarily frustrating after spending so much time and effort to get the place updated.

RJ, yes, there was a board-wide update which included registration. There are a still a few bugs I want to fix (I hate that if I navigate away from ReNext and open up a new page i have to log in again), but hopefully you'll be seeing some vast improvements.
:canadian: :james: :wiggle:
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:14 pm

We really appreciate all the work you've done. I wish there was some way I could help. :yes:

The lack of Bots is certainly a major improvement from my point of view. :borg: :D

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Renie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Lupine wrote:
RJDiogenes wrote:Ah, I'm just seeing that for the first time. All those Smileys were overwhelming, so this will probably be good. After a while, we'll probably get to know which page certain Smileys are on, making it easier.

It'd be neat if they could be categorized. A page for holiday smilies, naughty smilies, coffee, tea, ect...

That can be done through the Admin panel. RJ, if you want you can take a crack at it --- it's in the "Posting" tab, then "Smilies" on the left. You can change the positions of the smilies. If you don't have time that's fine, but I definitely don't have the time right now.
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Postby Renie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:18 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:We really appreciate all the work you've done. I wish there was some way I could help. :yes:

The lack of Bots is certainly a major improvement from my point of view. :borg: :D

Thanks, RJ.

I'll be coming out with a full list of new features, but want to spend some time adding a few minor mods now that the stylesheets are updated (which made most Automods impossible before). I'll probably do a feature sheet next weekend or so, when I have a little extra time at New Year's.
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:22 pm

Sweet. I'll take a look at organizing the Smileys. :yes:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Renie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:57 pm

^Thanks, hon!! You're such a great help to me :hug:
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Postby jgc » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:14 am

Elmo, thanks for all the time you put into this. This is my favorite place to hang out. :thumbsup:
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
jgc
Senator
Senator

Postby Lupine » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:01 am

We really do appreciate our little home-away-from-home, Elmo :yes: . Thanks for all the effort put into it. :hug:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Madeliaette » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:05 am

i wasnt meaning to be picky - and i do appreciate all the extra smilies and things you took time over, Elmo. I just dont understand one of them is all - but as you say, i just wont bother using it.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Postby Sean » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:13 am

I'm lovin' all the new smilies, and the name-color change Boss! I'm sure the kinks will work themselves out...considering that at one point, this board stopped working altogether, we can handle a few minor hiccups. :yes:
"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer."-Victor Borge

"I have been busier than a one armed worm caught in a tape dispenser."- Astrosmurf, Tuesday July 22, 2008
Sean
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:30 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:The "View Active Topics" link doesn't seem to be working right. It just brings up two apparently random Threads; the "View New Posts" link is almost as useful, but it doesn't bring up recent Threads that I might want to look at again.

The "View Your Posts" link seems to work similarly to how "View Active Topics" used to, so that's helpful.

Elmo Dukat wrote:^Thanks, hon!! You're such a great help to me :hug:

No problem. Anything I can do, just ask. :)

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Madeliaette » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:45 pm

i noticed a hitch - when trying to post in check in thread i camer up with:
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
I haven't checked out any other threads yet..... but the general check in one isnt working

ahhhh there seems to be a new one now - i didnt see it before!
Last edited by Madeliaette on Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madeliaette
Consul
Consul

Postby Lupine » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:12 pm

The board seems to be moving agreeably fast today. :thumbsup:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Renie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the kudos. I'll be taking care of some of the remaining glitches this weekend (like the text on the buttons, which is just a minor cosmetic change because of the change of the stylesheets).

I think this is one of the best little oasis messageboards on the web --- we've got a great group here. So much nastiness on your standard messageboard or even blog, and we just don't have that here in any measure whatever, and it's all self-regulated.
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Postby Renie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:22 pm

Added back the Share Topic MOD (see the Twitter/FB/Myspace icons)

Added a quick link to the last reply in each forum

Added a full editor with a crapload of rad new BB codes (that one's for you, RJ!) in the Full Editor mode.

Everything seems to be working splendidly so far.
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:20 pm

I love all the new codes! :dance:

I have a question, though. The old homemade YouTube code seems to have disappeared. I know we have the new one, but that means that any video already posted is gone-- which will make Hargil's in particular not very entertaining to any new members. Can we have both, or does one interfere with the other somehow?

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:23 pm

Oh, and the Smileys seem to be already pretty organized. I haven't found much to change as yet. :shrug:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Renie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:I love all the new codes! :dance:

I have a question, though. The old homemade YouTube code seems to have disappeared. I know we have the new one, but that means that any video already posted is gone-- which will make Hargil's in particular not very entertaining to any new members. Can we have both, or does one interfere with the other somehow?

The old ones still exist in the Admin Panel, they're just not available from the editor. So the old video should still work.

Cool on the smilies! I did try to organize them for the most part while I was adding them. :peekaboo: :geek: :wiggle:
Renie
Our Founder
Our Founder

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 pm

The old YouTube code has disappeared and Hargil's is looking a little bleak-- makes me think of Jackson Browne singing, "Oh won't you stayyy... just a little bit longer...." :lol:

I'll just recreate it. It wasn't that hard.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby jgc » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 pm

I love the full editor!!!
Imagine by John Lennon

:nh:
jgc
Senator
Senator