What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Post your original works of fiction here.

Re: What Are You Reading: The Sequel!

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:26 pm

^^ What's the plot?

I'm still reading the Clare Winger Harris anthology in between dribs and drabs of other things. It's pretty amazing. The one I read today is about a young, handsome doctor who has it all, but who has the bad luck to be involved in a couple of serious accidents, losing a limb each time. In his trauma, he decides that every time he loses a piece of his body, he loses a piece of his soul. When his girlfriend leaves him for his best friend, he disappears for several years to test his theory-- he comes back as a heartless cyborg bent on revenge. He's defeated by the friend and police, but with his dying breath he realizes that the artificial limbs and organs didn't cost him his soul, but he did it to himself. And this was published in the 1920s.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:06 pm

RJDiogenes wrote:^^ What's the plot?

Right now it's the investigation of an old NX-class ship that was reported destroyed some 200 years prior... but all the evidence points to the ship being derelict in space for 2000 years. :eek:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Ooh, one of Enterprise's sister ships? That's cool. Sounds like there's a time warp involved. Again. It's just a jump to the left.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:41 pm

I finally finished Star Trek The Next Generation: Indistinguishable From Magic. Probably the longest title in Star Trek literature, then again it was a long book. In reality though this was rather like two books and I think probably should have been broken into two separate novels.
The first half starts with the discovery of the derelict NX-class Intrepid which had been listed as lost in a Romulan mine field shortly after the Earth-Romulan war. The USS Challenger under command of Scotty is dispatched to investigate and Geordi La Forge is sent from the Enterprise to assist. Timing wise this book appears to take place after the events of Nemesis with Riker off to his own ship and Data deceased. Oddly the author, David A. McIntee has Worf being the first officer of the Enterprise rather than Maddox from the deleted scene of that movie. That’s a minor quibble though as a majority of the plot takes place in the Challenger.
The first plot is a rather basic one that eventually breaks down into a time travel plot involving Picard’s old Ferengi nemesis Bok, who plans to take the Intrepid back in time to save his son. Honestly I’m not sure why this plan involves taking the old ship back 200 years and sadly it is never fully explained nor why the Intrepid, lost for 200 years appears to have been aged 2000. The plot would have been better served by staying with that mystery.
The second half is a little more interesting. With Scotty’s health failing (as a result of age and being stuck in a transporter for 70 years) La Forge is put in command of the Challenger and they set off to explore another mystery that arose with the discovery of the Intrepid. Then event that damaged that ship and killed the crew is found to have been the result of a “trans-slipstream” wake by very fast and mysterious vessels traveling through the Galaxy and beyond. While investigating the Challenger finds itself caught up in one of the wakes and ends up halfway to the Andromeda Galaxy, orbiting what appears to be the USS Hera (the ship captained by La Forge’s mother).
That summery alone is one of the problems with the book. Throughout the story numerous characters, major and minor, come and go from plot. Scotty, Nog, Barclay, Sela, Bok, Guinan, Dr. Leah Braun, and so on. It does tend to give the novel a rather fanboyish quality. I think McIntee was perhaps a little too ambitious in trying to cram so much into one book. I mentioned earlier that this felt like two novels, but honestly I think this would have been better as a series. It would have allowed the concepts presented to be explored more fully. The result is a novel with good ideas that is too crowded to give any good resolutions to the action or even to fully explain just what is taking place. I did like the re-union and romance between Geordi and the now widowed Leah- something I had been hoping for going into this. And it was good to see Geordi in command of the Challenger. But a lot more could have been done here.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:23 pm

I seem to remember Geordi being in command of Challenger from somewhere-- must have been an episode of Voyager where they traveled to the future or something. But I wonder what Scotty was doing in command to start with. The last we saw of him, he went off in a shuttlecraft to do some gallivanting before retirement-- why would Starfleet put an elderly officer from a previous century in command of a starship? :unsure:

And they never explained why Intrepid is 2000 years old? Might they be saving that for a future volume?

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:30 pm

Yeah it was in an episode of Voyager where Geordi was in command of the Challenger in an aborted timeline. As for the rest it was explained that Scotty was bored with retirement and the Challenger was an engineering test bed. Perhaps they'll touch on the Intrepid in a future novel.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:34 pm

Well, that makes sense. Scotty would want to be on the cutting edge.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:18 pm

I forgot to mention that I started reading Star Trek: The Next Generation: Requiem the other day.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Right now, I'm just about to finish Jim's latest book-- about 25 pages to go-- and then I'll start blab's newest.

Prior to that, I had been reading Horror On The Links, the first volume of the collected stories of Seabury Quinn's Jules De Grandin stories. I had read a few of these over the years in various anthologies, but I never knew how many there were or how prolific Quinn was. Despite his obscure status now, he was huge in the days of Lovecraft and company and was represented in about half of the issues of the original Weird Tales. There are going to be five volumes of the Jules De Grandin stories alone. It's classic Pulp material, steeped in the 1930s.

I also got a Carrie Vaughn anthology. She's best known, I think, for her Kitty the Werewolf novels, but also writes some pretty cool short stories. Interestingly, I've read a couple of her stories (including the original Kitty Norville story) in the modern incarnation of Weird Tales.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Kitty the Werewolf sounds fun.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 pm

I've read one novel and a short story and they were both good. emma loves them. Carrie Vaughn has also started a new series, beginning with Martians Abroad, which is in the style of the Heinlein juvies.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:30 pm

I finished Star Trek; The Next Generation: Requiem. It was written by Michael Jan Friedman and Kevin Ryan, authors who sound familiar but not sure if I’ve read their work before.
Obviously by the title the story takes place during TNG and judging by the dialog not too long after the events of “Chain of Command” in the sixth season. After a prologue from Picard’s time on the Stargazer and a sudden offer from the Gorn for a treaty, the book moves to the Enterprise and it’s mission back to Gorn space and further negotiations. However on the way the ship encounters a mysterious and abandoned alien space station. Unsurprisingly things go awry and Picard is transported into the past to the planet Cestus III- mere days before the Gorn attack there and the events from the original episode “Arena”.
The story zips along at a brisk pace, never bogging down, and that makes for a quick read. It also gets the reader past some generally questionable decisions by the crew as they try to get Picard back before the Gorn attack Cestus III. On the downside the story becomes quite melancholy towards the end and that ending is rather abrupt when it does come. So while the pacing of the story is good it did leave me feeling a bit unsatisfied.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:53 pm

That first name does sound familiar. I think he may have written for the series itself.

A mysterious abandoned space station that transports Picard back to a TOS episode is a mighty convenient plot device. :D It's a shame we never got to see any Gorn in the 24th century, though. It would have been more interesting than some of the more generic aliens we got.

Well, I finished Jim's latest book, and it's got some really good stuff in it-- it really feels like it brought the events of the first book full circle, so I think the next volume will be a kind of new beginning. And I started blab's new book. It starts with a good old-fashioned teaser of somebody being murdered in a mysterious fashion in an unearthly setting.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:14 pm

^That sounds good.

RJDiogenes wrote:A mysterious abandoned space station that transports Picard back to a TOS episode is a mighty convenient plot device. :D It's a shame we never got to see any Gorn in the 24th century, though. It would have been more interesting than some of the more generic aliens we got.

Yeah, there were a lot of things they could have touched on but didn't.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby blablover5 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 am

RJDiogenes wrote:And I started blab's new book. It starts with a good old-fashioned teaser of somebody being murdered in a mysterious fashion in an unearthly setting.

And then it turns out they were really squid the whole time!
Arisen from the ashes of many burned asunder accounts I come to fill your heart with blackest ink and glitter!
blablover5
Centurion
Centurion

Postby Lupine » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:58 pm

^And good fried with onion.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:58 pm

That explains how I got ink on my fingers from reading an e-book.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Previous

Return to Fiction