The Watching Thread #3

Which are your favorite TV shows, and why? What do you follow? What movies stunk, and which rocked? Also gather to talk about and post internet media.

Moderators: RJDiogenes, AstroSmurf

Re: The Watching Thread #3

Postby Gary » Mon May 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Last night's fare was Gone Girl. The story line is twisted, meaning a bit disturbing. I didn't like how it ended. There were plot mistakes as well. I didn't understand why Nick Dunne and Tanner Bolt didn't go to the police immediately when Tanner stated how he needed to report the items in Nick's sister's woodshed as well as Nick having been involved in an affair.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon May 29, 2017 9:05 pm

I watched Scooby Doo and KISS: Rock'n'Roll Mystery. It was fun, as the Scooby movies usually are. The movies are different from the original show, though, in the sense that supernatural and alien events do occur, and are not hoaxes. I have mixed feelings about that. This one partially took place in a "Cosmic Realm" that had lots of artistic homages to Jack Kirby.
Please visit My Store and My Gallery and My YouTube Page. :)

:grape:
RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Cayla » Wed May 31, 2017 11:12 am

We began watching Gotham on Netflix. I like it.
Cayla
Senator
Senator

Postby Lupine » Wed May 31, 2017 2:56 pm

^I watched the first episode but found it too grim for my taste.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 pm

I went over to my Mother's house one time and she said to me, "Have you seen that new show, Got Ham?" Took me a while to figure it out..... :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:01 pm

^ :lol:

Sounds like a better show anyway.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby Gary » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:45 pm

I finished Season 2 of F is for Familiy, a Netflix series based on the stand-up comedy of Bill Burr. I have started watching Season 5 of House of Cards. I watched one episode of Season 3's The Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt and decided to pass. Loved the first season, while the second was so-so. Season 3 didn't grab me, although I may return to it at a later date.
You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Turns out there's an XFinitiy app for the Kindle, which includes On Demand, so now I can watch TV without everything being green. It doesn't help with DVDs, but at least it helps with TV shows. I was able to watch the last couple of episodes of Samurai Jack without it making me grouchy.

Lupine wrote:Sounds like a better show anyway.

I should put it on my list of titles looking for a story.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:50 am

I just watched the documentary Zero Days.

A documentary focused on Stuxnet, a piece of self-replicating computer malware that the U.S. and Israel unleashed to destroy a key part of an Iranian nuclear facility, and which ultimately spread beyond its intended target.

I highly recommend it for all to watch. The interviewees present a real-life James Bond style narrative.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:07 pm

That sounds interesting. I've never heard of that incident.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:58 pm

I finished Season Five of House of Cards. In case no one else has watched the series: Frank Underwood, a beguiling Congressman manages to become Vice-President by way of scheming succession when the sitting VP resigns from Office. Underwood is then able to hatch some schemes which snarl the sitting President who resigns from Office. Frank Underwood becomes the President and finishes his predecessor's term. Underwood wins re-election with his wife, Claire, as his running mate. They win and, shortly thereafter, some of Underwood's illegal activities (look at the title of the series) are starting to surface and are drawing scrutiny from a high energy freshman Congressman. Frank Underwood resigns, thereby making Claire the President. Meanwhile, a reporter from a local newspaper is trying to fit the puzzle pieces that connect Underwood to the murder of one of the paper's reporters.

That's the past five seasons, in a nutshell. The one point to note is pretty much everyone in the series is scheming in one way or another.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:20 pm

There was a time when I would have said that was far fetched. Now I wouldn't rule out anything when it comes to politics. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:53 pm

The other night, I watched The Age of Adeline.

After miraculously remaining 29 years old for almost eight decades, Adaline Bowman has lived a solitary existence, never allowing herself to get close to anyone who might reveal her secret. But a chance encounter with charismatic philanthropist Ellis Jones reignites her passion for life and romance. When a weekend with his parents threatens to uncover the truth, Adaline makes a decision that will change her life forever.

Blake Lively does a fantastic job of portraying a woman who was born in the early 1900s. I don't know what it is about her, but she looks absolutely fantastic dressed in period clothing, as if she lived in the era. I really enjoyed the movie and the story.

Season 5 of Orange is the New Black has dropped on Netflix. Last season ended with a phenomenal cliff-hanger.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Age of Adeline sounds like an unusual genre film. I might pick that one up.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:16 am

So I was looking at the articles in the latest email from MeTV, and I came across "Whatever Happened To The Cast Of ALF?" Something about Benji Gregory's post-ALF life seems strangely familiar. ;)

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:33 pm

^ :unsure:
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:31 pm

After attending the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, Gregory joined the Navy. He served aboard the Aircraft Carrier USS Carl Vinson.

The name of that ship sounds vaguely familiar. :D

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Lupine » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:02 pm

I was just wondering if Gary has an alias.
Lupine
Consul
Consul

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:20 am

Oh, yeah, didn't even think of that. Gary has had a close encounter of the third kind. :saucer:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:21 am

Judging by his age, he must have joined the Navy around the time I left the service. Once again -- it's a small world after all.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:19 pm

You probably saluted each other on the gangplank. It's like a Lost flashback. :lol:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:18 pm

These Japanese wood workers have some serious skills.
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Wow, that is uncanny. Those kind of skills would be useful in constructing a space station or moonbase or something.

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

Postby Gary » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:31 pm

I finished Season 3 of Better Call Saul. The character development has been fantastic. Last night, I watched the Ray Kroc biopic The Founder. Ray Kroc seems to have stumbled across a great business model, yet he really screwed over the McDonald brothers.

I've also been watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. That show is hilarious and yet wrong on so many levels. Someone told me the best way to describe it is that it's a live action cartoon. I think I'm up to Season 4 right now.
Gary
Praetor
Praetor

Postby RJDiogenes » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 pm

There is a marathon of Aerial America on the Smithsonian Channel today. That's a great show, if you get a chance to see it. I'm hoping History Channel shows their series on the American Revolution. I love that one, too.

This is kind of an interesting coincidence-- or not. I'm a member of TCM Backlot and I got an email soliciting questions for a Facebook Event. The question I asked is whether TCM or somebody will ever release the Dr. Crabtree mystery short films from the 30s on DVD. A couple of days later, I was checking TCM's On Demand section, and there was The Skull Murder Mystery. Was it just a strange coincidence, or did they read my question and decide to make it available? :unsure:

RJDiogenes
Imperator
Imperator

PreviousNext

Return to Television, Movies, and YouTube